Sonata WoO47/2 on rare page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonata WoO47/2 on rare page

The complete sonata in F minor WoO47/2 is available on the rare page. What a wonderful piece this is - although only a short work it displays remarkable emotional depth for a 12yr old as well as revealing the level of virtuosity already attained by the young composer. I wonder why it (and its companion pieces) are not included in the overall '32' after all I personally think it is a superior work to Op.49 no.2.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-06-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    The complete sonata in F minor WoO47/2 is available on the rare page. What a wonderful piece this is - although only a short work it displays remarkable emotional depth for a 12yr old as well as revealing the level of virtuosity already attained by the young composer. I wonder why it (and its companion pieces) are not included in the overall '32' after all I personally think it is a superior work to Op.49 no.2.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html
    Of course of B had had his way, I suspect that op49 would not have been published, certainly not with an opus number, but I agree that these 3 sonatas should be numbered in the 'official list'. Juvenile works are included in other composers 'lists' so why not B's? The performance in the recording here is not perfect, I would have expected a little more 'assai' in the opening allegro, and the andante could do with a little more grace. Good piano though.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I think this sonata is the pick of the group. I agree with you, Peter: it has more going for it than Op.49, no.2.

Can you imagine a 12-year-old writing something like this these days?! Oh, for a time machine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Of course of B had had his way, I suspect that op49 would not have been published, certainly not with an opus number, but I agree that these 3 sonatas should be numbered in the 'official list'. Juvenile works are included in other composers 'lists' so why not B's? The performance in the recording here is not perfect, I would have expected a little more 'assai' in the opening allegro, and the andante could do with a little more grace. Good piano though.

The piano certainly is excellent - it is a reproduction of a 1795 Walter. Do you prefer reconditioned originals or reproductions?

It is time that Beethoven was re-evalued and these early works should be included fully in the numberings of his works. Compared to Mozart whose childhood Symphonies are counted in the official list, {along with those that were not even by him (nr.37)} it seems ridiculous that Beethoven's early efforts are so lightly dismissed.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The performance in the recording here is not perfect, I would have expected a little more 'assai' in the opening allegro, and the andante could do with a little more grace. Good piano though.

The performance is far to be so good as the piano, and I agree totally for the "little more assai".

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
            I think this sonata is the pick of the group.
            Well, although the drama of no2 may more readily appeal, my instinct was to upload no3 but the performance on my disk is too lame to grace this site.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              The piano certainly is excellent - it is a reproduction of a 1795 Walter. Do you prefer reconditioned originals or reproductions?
              I take what I can get! But hearing both I am continually surprised how close the repros get to sounding like the reconds. Though some of the reconds have very little reconding, even having most of the original strings! Put it this way, this repro sounds like a Walter.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                The performance is far to be so good as the piano, and I agree totally for the "little more assai".

A more speedy collection of the 3 sonatas is available on Naxos by Jando (vol 1 of the complete B sonatas), which I considered in many respects in preference to the current recording, but his modern piano is no match for the 'Walter'.

------------------

Comment

A more speedy collection of the 3 sonatas is available on Naxos by Jando (vol 1 of the complete B sonatas), which I considered in many respects in preference to the current recording, but his modern piano is no match for the 'Walter'.

It's actually vol.10, and it includes the Anhang 5, nos.1 and 2 sonatinas as well as the fragment sonata, WoO.51. Not to mention a darn good Pastoral rendition, to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    It's actually vol.10, and it includes the Anhang 5, nos.1 and 2 sonatinas as well as the fragment sonata, WoO.51. Not to mention a darn good Pastoral rendition, to boot.

I was just about to correct the missing '0'! The other pieces you mention are very interesting too, I like WoO 51 especially. I think the authenticity of some of these pieces is under question but there is nothing there that does not strike me as clearly un-Beethovenian. I agree the pastoral is very good, a lively rendition throughout. The disk is a good purchase.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X