Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops! Of course you're right. It was Smetana and I listened to a few minutes of the overture but for some reason this particular performance didn't agree with me - hence my attempt at a joke.

Isn't Smetana the second most-famous composer to lose his hearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Oops! Of course you're right. It was Smetana and I listened to a few minutes of the overture but for some reason this particular performance didn't agree with me - hence my attempt at a joke.

Isn't Smetana the second most-famous composer to lose his hearing?
      Well, I was hoping for an unheard Glinka work but the Smetana will do. Yes, he did go deaf, all right. Do you remember who was conducting that? Might be one I will want to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Well, I was hoping for an unheard Glinka work but the Smetana will do. Yes, he did go deaf, all right. Do you remember who was conducting that? Might be one I will want to avoid.
        No - it was a radio broadcast and I didn't wait to hear who was conducting, but I recognised the piece (if not the composer )
        It was around 2am over here.

Comment

Not sure if you ever listen to "Live from the Met" or if it's readily available to you, but they did Handel's Giulio Cesare last weekend. I caught briefs snippets of it but it's interesting to me how distinct Handel's style is.
          No I don't follow it and I've no excuse really because not far from me there is a theatre that shows it live on big screen - well I have a sort of excuse in that living in the countryside, I'd have to drive and parking in that city is now ludicrously expensive and very hard to find as the council are extremely anti-car.

Giulio Cesare is my favourite Handel opera - Glyndebourne did a wonderful production some years back that is available on dvd.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No - it was a radio broadcast and I didn't wait to hear who was conducting, but I recognised the piece (if not the composer )
            It was around 2am over here.
            They play it so often on the radio here that it's to forget! At night they broadcast music from another station which tends to play a lot of the more obscure works and composers, which is nice. However, I don't usually stay up to listen as I have to work in morning (awake).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              No I don't follow it and I've no excuse really because not far from me there is a theatre that shows it live on big screen - well I have a sort of excuse in that living in the countryside, I'd have to drive and parking in that city is now ludicrously expensive and very hard to find as the council are extremely anti-car.

Giulio Cesare is my favourite Handel opera - Glyndebourne did a wonderful production some years back that is available on dvd.
              It's broadcast on the radio; there might be an internet link, but it would probably not be at a favorable time.

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky: Symphony in C

This morning:

Strauss: Don Juan

Comment

This is my 8000th post and to celebrate, Dvorak's glorious symphony no.7 in D minor.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    This is my 8000th post and to celebrate, Dvorak's glorious symphony no.7 in D minor.
                    Congrats! That is my favorite of Dvorak's.

Comment

Congrats! That is my favorite of Dvorak's.
                      Thanks Sorrano - it's between the 7th and the 8th for me, but top prize goes to the B minor 'cello concerto.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

Beethoven: Piano Trio in E-Flat, WoO 38

Jongen: Flute, Cello and Harp Trio, Op 80 (1925)

Comment

This evening:

Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms

This rather made me think of a cross between the music of Penderecki and Carl Orff.

Comment

Sibelius symphony no.7
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments

I absolutely love the rhythmic intensity of this work!

This morning: (No tales to tell)

Josef Hofmann: Kaleidoskop, Op 40, #4

Leopold Hoffmann: Mandolin and Guitar Sonata in G

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky: Movements for Piano and Orchestra Interesting and enjoyable work!
                                Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra

This morning:

Dvorak: Symphonic Variations

Comment

Working...
                                X