This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Hm, sounds like I might want to check that one out. Thanks for the info, Sorrano.
    It seems I've heard other segments from Spohr's Violin Concerti; what I do recall is that I enjoyed what I heard. It's nice to hear things that are not so common.

On the way to work I caught the most of Tchaikovsky's Polish Symphony (No. 3). That is one I hear very seldom.

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky: Symphony in E Flat, movements 3 and 4

Antheil:
      Valentine Waltzes (1949): #2*
      Trumpet Sonata

Comment

Copland's "Billy the Kid" and "El Salon Mexico".

Now, I guess I'll mosey down town and shoot some persnickity hornswoggling varmints.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Copland's "Billy the Kid" and "El Salon Mexico".

Now, I guess I'll mosey down town and shoot some persnickity hornswoggling varmints.
          Make sure you get your vittles, first, no sense getting into all that on an empty stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Make sure you get your vittles, first, no sense getting into all that on an empty stomach.
            Yup! Got my sourdough flapjacks and I'm hittin' the trail to the ol' hacienda!

(I may be listening to some Irish music tomorrow, so I'll start sharpening my shillelagh. )

Comment

Yup! Got my sourdough flapjacks and I'm hittin' the trail to the ol' hacienda!

(I may be listening to some Irish music tomorrow, so I'll start sharpening my shillelagh. )
              Interesting that you should mention the shillelagh. A neighbor pruned my apple tree and with some of the left over wood he made me a couple. One for human varmints and one for animal varmints.

Comment

Interesting that you should mention the shillelagh. A neighbor pruned my apple tree and with some of the left over wood he made me a couple. One for human varmints and one for animal varmints.
                I don't believe I've ever seen one outside of a souvenir shop. It's a sort of Irish cliche like a Scotsman and a haggis.

Comment

I don't believe I've ever seen one outside of a souvenir shop. It's a sort of Irish cliche like a Scotsman and a haggis.
                  I had never even heard of one until my neighbor asked me if I wanted one. As far as I can tell he is not Irish, so I'm not sure where he got that from. Regardless, I do not wish to be smacked by one.

Comment

This morning:

Moeran: Serenade in G (1947-8)

Comment

This morning:

Moeran: Serenade in G (1947-8)
                      This composer was found dead in the Kenmare river in 1950. It was thought he had drowned but an inquest found that he had died suddenly (possibly from a brain haemorrhage) before actually falling in.

I mention this because I live only a few miles from where he was found.

Comment

This composer was found dead in the Kenmare river in 1950. It was thought he had drowned but an inquest found that he had died suddenly (possibly from a brain haemorrhage) before actually falling in.

I mention this because I live only a few miles from where he was found.
                        That's very interesting! Can't say I've heard much about him prior.

Last night:

Stravinsky: Symphony in Three Movements

This morning:

Vitols: Latvian Folk-Song Fantasy, Op. 42

Aulin: Settings of Four Serbian Folksongs: #1, "To a Rose"*

Handel: Concerto Grosso in F, Op. 6/9

Comment

Handel: Samson
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            Handel: Samson
                            Not sure if you ever listen to "Live from the Met" or if it's readily available to you, but they did Handel's Giulio Cesare last weekend. I caught briefs snippets of it but it's interesting to me how distinct Handel's style is.

Comment

Listened to a bit of Glinka's "The Battered Bride" on FM.
                              (Yeah - I know, but the performance wasn't very good.)

Added later: I didn't like it probably because I had the wrong composer - see below.

Last edited by Michael; 05-03-2013, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Listened to a bit of Glinka's "The Battered Bride" on FM.
                                (Yeah - I know, but the performance wasn't very good.)
                                I know that Smetana composed one such Opera, did Glinka do one, as well, or just an orchestral work based on the same story?

Comment

Working...
                                X