• Show
Clear All

This morning:

Farrar: English Pastoral Impressions

Grainger Children's March: Over the Hills and Far Away

Comment

This evening:

Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 Pastoral

This is conducted by Toscanini and it is such a joy to listen to!

On my way home from work I turned the radio on as they were playing Schubert's 8th Symphony and immediately I felt a direct connection to Beethoven's Pastoral. Prior I've never thought of the two together, but there is a similar feeling between the two for me.

Comment

This morning:

Rodrigo: Concierto andaluz

While I've not been much of a guitar fan I do enjoy listening to this concerto a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          This evening:

On my way home from work I turned the radio on as they were playing Schubert's 8th Symphony and immediately I felt a direct connection to Beethoven's Pastoral. Prior I've never thought of the two together, but there is a similar feeling between the two for me.
          Interesting but strange Sorrano! Is it the 2nd movt of Schubert's 8th you are thinking of particularly?
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Interesting but strange Sorrano! Is it the 2nd movt of Schubert's 8th you are thinking of particularly?
            It was actually the first movement of the Schubert that made me think of the Pastoral.

This morning:

Kraus: Flute and Viola Sonata

Telemann: Flute and Violin Concerto in e

Dvorák: Czech Suite

Last night:

Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 (Toscanini)

Comment

This evening:

Interesting. I was reading an article a few days ago in which one of the theories as to why Schubert never completed the 8th was because he may have felt it resembled Beethoven's SECOND Symphony.
              I had never noticed any resemblance before, but the second movements of both symphonies have slightly similar themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Interesting. I was reading an article a few days ago in which one of the theories as to why Schubert never completed the 8th was because he may have felt it resembled Beethoven's SECOND Symphony.
                I had never noticed any resemblance before, but the second movements of both symphonies have slightly similar themes.
                It may be nothing more than just an association with Beethoven. When the radio came on the symphony was in progress (1st movement) and I immediately thought it was Beethoven. That is when the 6th symphony came to mind, but then I realized it was Schubert. Mostly, I think there is a similar feel to both works.

Comment

It may be nothing more than just an association with Beethoven. When the radio came on the symphony was in progress (1st movement) and I immediately thought it was Beethoven. That is when the 6th symphony came to mind, but then I realized it was Schubert. Mostly, I think there is a similar feel to both works.
                  You've lost me here Sorrano - the Schubert is such a dark work (the first movement the darkest symphonic piece he wrote) and the Pastoral sunny and joyful (apart from the storm!). I can see more of a relationship with Beethoven's 9th - both have that mysterious brooding opening. Also the slow movements of both works have much in common being on an ethereal plane.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think it's more of a stylistic similarity than a thematic similarity. Of course, it didn't take more than a few measures to realize what the music was, but it did make me think very much of the Pastoral. Perhaps the lyricism of both works is what triggered the thought process.

Comment

It's fascinating to think that this masterpiece might have been totally lost to the world. There are various theories as to why Schubert never completed it (beyond sketches) but the two movements complement each other so completely that you seldom get the feeling that it is "unfinished".

I compare it to Beethoven's Opus 111 piano sonata - another two-movement work with a tragic first movement and a lyrical second (although that was consciously planned).

Comment

Bruckner's 9th is another unfinished symphony that has a feeling of completeness.

Comment

This morning:

Szymanowski: Three Paganini Caprices, Op 40

I nearly expected to hear some Rachmaninoff follow.

Comment

Just listening to Mozart's lovely "I'm Inclined to Knock Music".

(Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major K. 525)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Just listening to Mozart's lovely "I'm Inclined to Knock Music".

(Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major K. 525)
                              Reminds me of the Peter Schickele version, Eine kleine Nichtmusic.

Comment

Reminds me of the Peter Schickele version, Eine kleine Nichtmusic.
                                The PDQ Bach guy? Great stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X