X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    This morning:

Igor Stravinsky: Pulcinella: Suite
    Do you know the complete ballet, Sorrano, by any chance?

Comment

Today:

Nielsen:
      Springtime in Fünen op.42 (1921)

Villa Lobos:
      Bachiana brasileira no.5

Prokofiev;
      On Guard for peace op.124 (1950)
      (a piece best left collecting dust in a forgotten drawer)

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
        Do you know the complete ballet, Sorrano, by any chance?
        Sorry to respond so late, Enrique. I thought I had the complete ballet on CD on a Stravinsky set, but it doesn't appear to be there, so I would have to say I do not know it. The suite this morning was aired on radio.

Comment

This morning:

Bach/Busoni: Chorale Prelude, "Herr Gott, nun schleuss' den Himmel auf"

Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3

Georges Bizet: L'Arlésienne: Suite No. 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Sorry to respond so late, Enrique. I thought I had the complete ballet on CD on a Stravinsky set, but it doesn't appear to be there, so I would have to say I do not know it. The suite this morning was aired on radio.
            Don't mention it. I advice you to listen to the complete version, Sorrano which, if my opinion is worth anything, is one of the wonders of 20th century music, with all due consideration to Pergolesi. But I'm not the only one who thinks so. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
              Don't mention it. I advice you to listen to the complete version, Sorrano which, if my opinion is worth anything, is one of the wonders of 20th century music, with all due consideration to Pergolesi. But I'm not the only one who thinks so. Cheers.
              I do agree with you Enrique, apart from one detail: there isn't that much Pergolesi in it as Stravinsky thought. Pergolesi is one of the composers who wrote more after their death than during their lives: the works attributed to him outnumber the works which are his beyond doubt.
              Most of the works used by Stravinsky aren't pergolesi's therefore, e.g. Count Unico van Wassenaer being one of the composers positively identified as the author of a couple of Pulcinella's movements.

Btw, do you know the transcription for violin (or 'cello) and piano Stravinsky and the violinist Dushkin made of the score, calling it Suite italienne?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

Btw, do you know the transcription for violin (or 'cello) and piano Stravinsky and the violinist Dushkin made of the score, calling it Suite italienne?
                It seems this was playing not too long ago on the radio; I caught the very last part of it, so I didn't really get a good listen.

Comment

Today:

Tippett:
                  Symphony nr.2 (1957)

Comment

I happen to own a recording (Stravinsky, Cleveland Orchestra, Columbia ML4830) of Pulcinella made in 1953. The record cover, with notes by Robert Craft, gives a very detailed listing of the sources used by Stravinsky. The following is a fragment:
                    Code:
                    Numbers of Pulcinella                                  Sources in  Pergolesi
                                                                                        (the chief sources are the 3-act comedies Il Fratello Innamorato (1732) 
                                                                                         and Il Flaminio (1735) and the 12 trio sonatas for 2 violines and continuo.
                                                                                         All of Stravinsky's copies were made either in the Naples Conservatory
                                                                                         or in the British Musem.)               
                    Overture (G) (orchestra)                            1st move. 1st trio sonata (G)
                    Scene 1: Serenata (C minor) (tenor)           Polidoro's aria, 1st act Il Flaminio (D minor) (tenor) (orig. with guitar)
                                    Scherzino (C)                              1st move. 2nd trio sonata (B-flat)
                                    Allegro (A)                                   3rd move. 2nd trio sonata (B-flat)
                                     Andantino (F)                              1st move. 8th trio sonata (E-flat)
                    Scene 2: Allegro (B-flat)                              1st act Il fratello innamorato, aria di Vannella (B-flat) (soprano)
                    Now, according to recent criticism, from the twenty one pieces used, eleven should be attributed to other authors and only eight we are certain belong to Pergolesi. For me it's quite a surprise and I thank you for having noticed it.

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    I don't know it, but it would be nice if I had the opportunity to listen to it. The violin must be used, in some places, in a percussion-wise way (I mean, as a percussion instrument), specially in the finale.

Comment

Today:

Tippett:
                      New Year: suite (1988/’90)

Monteverdi:
                      Voglio di vita uscir
                      Fuggi Cor
                      Ahi, che si part’il mio Sol
                      Se d’un Angel’il bel viso
                      Lamento d’Olimpia

Comment

This morning:

Bliss: Checkmate (1937): Five Dances

Delius: On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrQ7_ENiTE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHmItz840o

Kathleen Battle

someone who is quickly becoming a favorite voice of mine...I just discovered it in my mother's collection this last 2 weekends...

I was playing it while riding with my younger brother last week and he said:
                          "You have GOT to be kidding me" (irritated), and I replied, "No I am NOT kidding you (irritated x 2) -we were raised on this stuff remember?? I got enough of MacCracks overhead Techno Jungle howling yesterday while munching on their Big Mac yesterday and have to purge my brain today by regressing into something with class... So suffer while I enjoy..."

sibling love in all it's various twists...

a very interesting point bought up by Ms Battles re: Kathleen's mother's observation about training a person OUT of one's singing voice when asked why she didn't give her daughter lessons in voice...good stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWdE...ture=endscreen
                          "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

"It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Comment

Leos Janacek
                                The Cunning Little Vixen Suite

Performers: Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Jiri Belohlavek (conductor)
                                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
                                X