X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart symphony no.36 in C 'Linz'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

How lovely, I switched on the radio this morning and the first 6 notes I heard I thought, that sounds like Beethoven, and sure it was.
      I was listening to:-
      Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111 by Ludwig van Beethoven
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This morning:

Prokofiev:

Transcription of Waltzes by Schubert
        Flute Sonata in D, Op. 94

Comment

Caught the end of the Beethoven Piano concerto No. 4 on the radio this morning. In that first instant, before I recognized the piece, I knew it was Beethoven by the orchestration. Reminded me of Michael's Bernstein thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Caught the end of the Beethoven Piano concerto No. 4 on the radio this morning. In that first instant, before I recognized the piece, I knew it was Beethoven by the orchestration. Reminded me of Michael's Bernstein thread!
            There is certainly an air of familiarity (at least for me) that is almost instantly recognizable.

Last night:

Stravinsky:
            Septet
            Pastorale
            Ebony Concerto for Clarinet Solo and Big Band

This morning:
            Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe, Suite No. 2

Grieg: Holberg Suite

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky:
              Ebony Concerto for Clarinet Solo and Big Band
              Duo Concertant for violin and Piano

This morning:

Leclair: Violin Sonata in D, Op. 9/3

Rossini: String Sonata No. 3

Comment

And this morning I caught the end of Mozart's Piano concerto No. 27. We had a thread on the theme of the last movement of this piece here recently, and what a charming theme it is. I can imagine other composers coming up with it and then dismissing it for being too simple or child-like, but Mozart knew just what to do with it here!

Comment

Last night:

Stravinsky: Serenade in A

This morning:

Mozart: Hafner Symphony (Probably my favorite of Mozart's symphonies.)

Comment

Beethoven - Leonore Overture No. 2

All four of the overtures Beethoven wrote for Fidelio are fantastic. It makes me wish he had written three other operas to go with them!

Comment

The Eroica was playing on the way to work. It's nice to hear that again on the radio.

Comment

Haydn symphony no.52 in C minor described by Robbins Landon as the grandfather of Beethoven's 5th - not sure I agree with that!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

If Papa Haydn's 52nd was the 'grandpa' of LvB's 5th, does that mean that Méhul's 4th (the 'first' instance of a cyclic symphony?) was the 'father'?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                            If Papa Haydn's 52nd was the 'grandpa' of LvB's 5th, does that mean that Méhul's 4th (the 'first' instance of a cyclic symphony?) was the 'father'?
                            There's a couple more symphonies I need to listen to again.

Comment

Watching and listening to Mozart's Die Zauberflote (Ingmar Bergman).
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Varèse: Ionization.

Comment

Working...
                                X