X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    This morning:

Schubert: Symphony No. 5 in B Flat

The radio came on just after this had started, and though I couldn't place which work it was I was convinced it was a Mozart Symphony.
    Such a joyful work - yes very Mozart influenced, but the slow movement has definite Schubertian harmonic traits.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Such a joyful work - yes very Mozart influenced, but the slow movement has definite Schubertian harmonic traits.
      It's interesting to me that this has been the least accessible of Schubert's symphonies, perhaps more of a psychological issue than anything else. However, upon listening to it without knowing what it is I found it very delightful and fun to listen to. There goes another barrier!

Comment

This evening:

Stravinsky: (Getting a bit predictable here!)

Four Norwegian Moods for Orchestra (Very Griegish, in my opinion! Nicely done!)

Circus Polka (This reminded me of Weinberger's Polka and Fugue from Schwanda the Bagpiper.)

Concerto in D for String Orchestra Basle Concerto (Always very colorful and rhythmic!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          It's interesting to me that this has been the least accessible of Schubert's symphonies, perhaps more of a psychological issue than anything else. However, upon listening to it without knowing what it is I found it very delightful and fun to listen to. There goes another barrier!
          Yes it's strange how we change our perceptions! In these early symphonies (if that's the right word to use with Schubert!) he was still finding his feet, so there is a pot-pourri of Mozart, Beethoven and Rossini. The first two Schubert symphonies I bought were an LP of 1 & 2 whilst on holiday in Alassio (Italy) in 1978. No.2 is especially delightful and the Beethoven influence comes in the first movt where there are some thematic similarities to the Creatures of Prometheus overture.

Listening to Mozart's last piano concerto in Bb.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Perhaps, because of that mixture I've really enjoyed the first four of Schubert's symphonies.

With Mozart I've had a rough time, as well, until listening to his piano concerti. The symphonies, for the most part, do not do much for me, but the other orchestral works, such as the divertimenti, and the concerti I've really enjoyed.

Comment

Sometimes you can tell a man one thing, sometimes you can tell a man another thing. Some can tell a man anything.

This morning:

Telemann: Overture (Suite) in D, TMV 55

(Okay, sorry for the bad pun. It wasn't called for.)

Comment

Hummel and Beethoven
                Composer of the Week, Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837) Episode 3 of 5

Availability:7 days left to listen
                Duration: 1 hour
                First broadcast:Wednesday 15 May 2013Described as the Napoleon of the Piano, Chopin said he was one of the three greatest masters alongside Mozart and Beethoven. This week Donald Macleod explores the life and music of Johann Nepomuk Hummel.
                Hummel soon found himself returning to Vienna, dismissed by Prince Esterhazy in 1811. One bone of contention was that Hummel spent too much time writing stage works to be performed in Vienna instead of carrying out his official duties at Eisenstadt. One such stage work was Hummel's opera, Mathilde von Guise, about a fictitious princess who wishes to marry below her station.
                In was in Vienna that Hummel met Beethoven and the two developed a rocky friendship. Soon, Hummel got married to a famous singer of the day, Elizabeth Rockel. This caused further tension between the two composers, as Beethoven may have had romantic designs on Rockel as well. Elizabeth would go on to sing a number of Hummel's songs, of which he composed many, including his Air a la Tirolienne with variations.
                Hummel didn't remain in Vienna long and, with the support of his wife, started to tour as a pianist again. His name was becoming more recognised around Europe and, with this success, came the offer of a new position to the Wurttemberg Court in Stuttgart in 1816. He wowed the Stuttgart audiences with his piano playing, possibly with one of his recent compositions, the Piano Concerto in A minor Op.85.  Show less

Described as the Napoleon of the Piano, Chopin said he was one of the three greatest masters alongside Mozart and Beethoven. This week Donald Macleod explores the life and music of Johann Nepomuk Hummel.

Hummel soon found himself returning to Vienna, dismissed by Prince Esterhazy in 1811. One bone of contention was that Hummel spent too much time... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01scy9k
                Last edited by Megan; 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This evening:

Stravinsky: (continuing series)

Eight Instrumental Miniatures for Fifteen Players
                  There were parts of this that reminded me a lot of Bartok, the instrumentation, the rhythms, and the polyphony.

Four Etudes for Orchestra
                  The 3rd movement, Cantique appears to quote from the Dies Irae. That was interesting.

Comment

This morning:

Reger: Preludes and Fugues, Op 131a: Prelude #3 in G

Salieri: Sinfonia, Il Giorno Onomastico Salieri certainly had is own voice, although the first movement reminded me of a C. P. E. Bach Symphony in D.

Comment

More Mozart - this music is just so life affirmingly positive, I think Beecham was right to prescribe 15 minutes daily for a better world!! The Clarinet quintet.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning I got thirsty.

Telemann: Overture (Suite) in C, Hamburger Ebb' und Flut (Wassermusik)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          More Mozart - this music is just so life affirmingly positive, I think Beecham was right to prescribe 15 minutes daily for a better world!! The Clarinet quintet.
                          Take your Beecham's Powders daily do you, Blue Baron?
                          Casals used to recommend 10" of (JS) Bach each day - he called it a 'Daily benediction'.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                            Take your Beecham's Powders daily do you, Blue Baron?
                            Casals used to recommend 10" of (JS) Bach each day - he called it a 'Daily benediction'.
                            No I'm afraid not! I do however have my 'Daily benediction' as I always begin practice with Bach (JS)! Good to know you are still lurking behind scenes DQ.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

Poulenc: Suite fran‡aise

Marais: Five Old French Dances

Comment

This evening:

Stravinsky:

Preludium for Jazz Ensemble
                                Concertino for 12 Instruments
                                Octet for Wind Instruments
                                Ragtime for 11 Instruments