The life of Anton Bruckner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The life of Anton Bruckner

Perhaps some of you did not see this. It's a documentary film on Bruckner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuR91m2ksaE[/youtube]

I saw this film on TV in March 1975 and it triggered my interest in his music.

Comment

Yes, they open with the 9th symphony. It's longer than 2 hours.

Comment

Nice post, Enrique! Now I just need to find the time to watch it!

Comment

Yes, what a rare discovery! I shall enjoy this. I did watch the first few minutes (the rest for another time), but what I do find slightly off-putting is the 'BBC received pronunciation' of the narrator. Still, once I filter that out I shall enjoy the film.

Comment

Has the received pronunciation anything bad? I thought it was the correct pronunciation to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
              Has the received pronunciation anything bad? I thought it was the correct pronunciation to use.
              An excellent question. That should be answered.

Comment

Don't you know the answer?

Comment

Personally, it's rather charged with connotations of social class and privilege. But as I said, once I have sidelined the tone of the narrator's voice I shall enjoy the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    Personally, it's rather charged with connotations of social class and privilege. But as I said, once I have sidelined the tone of the narrator's voice I shall enjoy the film.
                    It was a style of its time - at least you can clearly understand what he's saying! In anycase if you're (rightly) not going to judge people on the way they speak, surely this guy is entitled to the same respect if we're not going to be hypocritical about it?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      It was a style of its time - at least you can clearly understand what he's saying! In any case if you're (rightly) not going to judge people on the way they speak, surely this guy is entitled to the same respect if we're not going to be hypocritical about it?
                      Yes. Please do check out this YouTube link which is humorously linked to the idea:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWPR9TM0Gk

Comment

Further thoughts on this, doesn't classical music in general suffer from the same prejudices? Amusing video yes but we have sunk somewhat from the sublimity of Bruckner!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Further thoughts on this, doesn't classical music in general suffer from the same prejudices? Amusing video yes but we have sunk somewhat from the sublimity of Bruckner!
                          In the video Enrique posted, Bruckner's narrator's voice is given a 'blue-collar' accent. Why did they choose to do so?
                          Whilst you consider that not too difficult a question, the film reminded me of another story about Bruckner's drinking habits : that he liked his Pils beer. That after not being invited to dine at the 'high table' with the notables following the premier of one his masses he went to his local winstub and ordered a 5-course meal with 5 beers and 3 differernt wines. I tell you, I like Bruckner.

Comment

In the video Enrique posted, Bruckner's narrator's voice is given a 'blue-collar' accent. Why did they choose to do so?
                            Whilst you consider that not too difficult a question, the film reminded me of another story about Bruckner's drinking habits : that he liked his Pils beer. That after not being invited to dine at the 'high table' with the notables following the premier of one his masses he went to his local winstub and ordered a 5-course meal with 5 beers and 3 differernt wines. I tell you, I like Bruckner.
                            It isn't difficult but it is a strange question to ask - Do you remember the excellent series 'World at war' narrated by Laurence Olivier? - it never occurred to me to ask why they didn't choose Sid James!

I haven't watched the documentary on Bruckner yet, but I'm far more interested in that than what the narrator sounds like, so do we have any reviews yet?
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

It isn't difficult but it is a strange question to ask - Do you remember the excellent series 'World at war' narrated by Laurence Olivier? - it never occurred to me to ask why they didn't choose Sid James!

I haven't watched the documentary on Bruckner yet, but I'm far more interested in that than what the narrator sounds like, so do we have any reviews yet?
                              Not such a strange question. Is Beethoven given a blue-collar accent in the various films we have about him? Or at least a heavy regional one (which kind of translates into the same)? No, in the films I have seen he sounds 'very proper' even though we know he was mocked for his accent in Vienna.
                              Yes, I remember the World at War series, an excellent one. No, I never questioned the choice of narrator. Why would Sid James strike us a ridiculous? Not enough gravitas? Why would that be so?

Comment

Working...
                              X