Op. 106, Sentimento = Sentiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    I agree - Adagio is a much abused term and is often interpeted as lento. I was always taught that Adagio meant stately and to imagine the Queen walking in a procession!

But not the Queen Mother - that would take forever!

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 11-02-2001).]

Comment

I think the ideal tempo of the adagio depends, up to a point, on the pacing of the other movements. Yes, Jando's 14'12" is refreshingly brisk, but he spoils the effect by taking the opening allegro too slowly; in fact, he takes both movements at the same speed! 18 minutes for the slow movement seems acceptable to me (a la Roberts) so long as the first mvt is treated differently, which with Roberts, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        I think the ideal tempo of the adagio depends, up to a point, on the pacing of the other movements.
        This shouldn't really be an issue considering B left us metronome indications which I believe should be taken seriously. I may add the matter of the movement sounding rushed would also be less of an issue on the instruments of Beethoven's time, their tone being 'lighter' and with a quicker decay. It's also not simply a matter of speeding up the current interpretation, its a matter of re-interpretation.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 11-03-2001).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

C[QUOTE]Originally posted by PDG:
          [B] But not the Queen Mother - that would take forever!

I do like "l'humour anglais" (LOL)

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Working...
          X