Composers at the piano.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composers at the piano.

Most people believe composing music is sitting at the piano and begin, guided by one's inspiration, to strike keys and meticulously write them down on the staff. It's very difficult to explain them that writing music is, in principle, independent of instruments. As a matter of fact, this is quite true. I'm not speaking about the very abundant musical literature where the instruments are not specified (think of the Art of the Fugue). We could play Beethoven's Fifth with no (musical) instruments at all.

Instruments have timbre. Now, it is possible to produce sound with no timbre at all. This would just be a sinusoidal wave generator. These waves are at the basis of any sound produced by musical instruments and correspond to the fundamental frequency of that sound. Instruments add other frequencies (waves) above the fundamental, making their tone much richer. But the important thing is that these added waves give color (timbre) to the sound produced by any musical instrument.

Now, what the sinusoidal wave generator does, is to remove all the upper frequencies (not really but the effect is the same) and leave only the fundamental. In this way, we have here a sound which is musical, but has no timbre at all. So, playing a tune with an audio oscillator --another name for the device, is equivalent to playing with no instruments. Of course, there is an instrument: the audio oscillator itself.

Very well. In this way, we have that music is independent from instruments in a very essential way. Getting back to the composer, there is no need for him, he does not depend, on the availability of an instrument. He can get to the piano, to see how a novel chord sounds, but the essential process it developed inside his mind. A composer deserving that name will not use the piano in general. But there are exceptions, of course. If he is an accomplished pianist, as Beethoven was, he can get carried away by an improvisation and then translate the result on paper. See how he said once that he could remember every note of his improvisations. I'm no authority to speak on B's compositional methods, but see how he worked and reworked his ideas --his sketches are a proof, before committing them to a more definitive form. And was he at the piano at these moments. Maybe, but he used to walk a lot while taking notes.

The cinema, in the same way that it does not know how to show a true chess game --one of the characters says "Check mate" and the other looks surprised, has taught the public the wrong way in what touches musical composition. Everything happens in the composer's head, and from his head goes straight to the paper, the musical instrument being no more than an auxiliary tool in the best case. Again, there are composers and composers. Ravel used to write for the piano and then transcribe for full orchestra (if somebody know better please get me out of my error). And it is probable that some of his compositions were born out of his dealing with the instrument. On the other hand Charles Ives only played the guitar, and in spite of the poliphonic nature of this instrument, I do not think it played a great role in writing the sonata Concord.

And then the orchestration phase comes, where, of course, the piano, guitar or whatever has no function at all. However, when Gershwin was writing the Concerto in F, he hired an orchestra and checked fragment by fragment if the realization corresponded to his wishes. There are always exceptions. And, of course, music is a mental process not only in the composer's head, but in the listener, when he tries to remember or just evokes some music.

Interesting post and true in many cases, but not all. Most composers used a piano/keyboard at some stage in the compositional process and for them it was probably more useful than essential, but some (Tippet and Stravinsky for example) positively relied upon it.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Stravinsky once said: "I compose my works as an engineer builds a bridge". So, I think he did not look for inspiration in the piano, which was my point. That he used it a lot, it is true, I'll assume, coming from your mouth.

Comment

I know I have done my best composing away from the piano, particularly when writing for the piano. Sitting at the piano, I find that my fingers tend to go to familiar patterns. I think the best inspirations come during long walks!

Comment

I remember Ken Russel portraying Tchaikowsky, composing or perhaps orchestrating, writing, standing, over a piano he used as a table, among all the noise coming from the other classrooms in the conservatory. And Mahler, another of his pictures, quietly writing on a desk, and his poor wife comes to him to shows him her serious efforts at composition, which he disregards. A good example is Mozart, having written the last three symphonies in such a short time that it is hard to believe even as simple manual work. Because then, it is true that he had not only the plan but the details in his head and the rest was only paper and pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
            Stravinsky once said: "I compose my works as an engineer builds a bridge". So, I think he did not look for inspiration in the piano, which was my point. That he used it a lot, it is true, I'll assume, coming from your mouth.
            Very kind Enrique but don't assume I'm always correct! I try to be but I rely on my memory for a lot of things without always checking the facts (lazy I know) and much of my musical knowledge was acquired a long time ago.

Lots of composers would improvise at the piano and get ideas that way, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky for example, but then you realise that both of these men created mainly whilst on long solitary walks and would return to the piano later to try out their ideas. Berlioz never used the piano to compose and regarded it as harmful to inspiration - maybe this was true for him, but others obviously found it a useful means.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

OK. But you are not aiding me in trying to deliver my concept. It's hard for people to grasp the concept of the musical idea. People do not conceive a deaf composer. So this is my example, though I realize I am prone to generalize: Beethoven in his third period. Said otherwise: the composer does not (or should not) compose with his fingers.
              Last edited by Enrique; 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Beethoven met the young British musician, Cipriani Potter, in 1817. In giving him some advice about composing, Beethoven told him "never to compose sitting in a room in which there was a pianoforte, in order not to be tempted to consult the instrument."
                Much of B's composing was in the open air, walking around Vienna or the countryside, but there are many accounts of his rushing back to his rooms to try out his ideas on the keyboard.

Comment

The human mind is limited [bounded?]. Even that of our hero. Nice anecdote.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                    The human mind is limited [bounded?]. Even that of our hero. Nice anecdote.
                    Indeed. I would go as far as to say that it is nigh-on impossible to create great music while staring at black-and-white striped wooden/plastic keys placed so perfectly in a line and at your mercy. The inspiration must start from within your head...

Comment

Working...
                    X