Immortal Beloved Soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immortal Beloved Soundtrack

I have just seen Immortal Beloved. Could anyone tell me what the piece of music is played near the end when Beethoven runs up the stairs in the hotel during the thunderstorm and his "beloved" runs down from the other direction and leaves. Please, it is wonderful.

I believe it is the Violin Sonata in A Major, op.47, "Kreutzer"; 1st movement. Played by Pamela Frank, violin, and Emanuel Ax, piano.
    (I have the soundtrack on cd )

Susan

Comment

I also have just seen the movie "Immortal Beloved", I found it beautiful yet tragic and moving. I didn't like the part where they showed Beethoven being beaten by his father, I think I would have rather not known about that.

Anyhow, I have one question with regards to the famous letter Beethoven wrote that was sent to the hotel adressed to the Immortal Beloved. Is it a proven fact that the letter was sent to that hotel (since the letter was still in his possession when he died) and were they really able to uncover a "signature" in the hotel registry of the mystery woman he was supposed to meet there? The movie shows Shindler trying to match the handwriting of the signature with the various women in Beethoven's life and they suggest it was his sister in law's handwriting, I wondered if there was any proof to substantiate this theory or if it is only made up to make the story all come together. If anyone would care to comment, I would appreciate reading your opinions on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:

Anyhow, I have one question with regards to the famous letter Beethoven wrote that was sent to the hotel adressed to the Immortal Beloved. Is it a proven fact that the letter was sent to that hotel (since the letter was still in his possession when he died) and were they really able to uncover a "signature" in the hotel registry of the mystery woman he was supposed to meet there? The movie shows Shindler trying to match the handwriting of the signature with the various women in Beethoven's life and they suggest it was his sister in law's handwriting, I wondered if there was any proof to substantiate this theory or if it is only made up to make the story all come together. If anyone would care to comment, I would appreciate reading your opinions on this.
        I have read no evidence that the letter was sent anywhere, nor is it certain as to whom the letter was intended (but forget the idea that it was his sister in law!). I suppose it could have been sent somwhere and by circumstance it came back to Beethoven. I doubt the whole story will ever come to light. I think the hotel story in the movie is a complete invention. I recommend you do not view this movie as in any way a biographical account, it is a fantasy that meddles here and there with true events but does't care about how they are used in the context of the movie. The idea of not letting the truth get in the way of a good story reaches its apotheosis in Immortal Beloved!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-28-2001).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I also have just seen the movie "Immortal Beloved", I found it beautiful yet tragic and moving. I didn't like the part where they showed Beethoven being beaten by his father, I think I would have rather not known about that.

I hate that part too, it makes me feel dissapointed.

------------------
          freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

[This message has been edited by ~Immortal Beloved~ (edited 10-29-2001).]

Comment

I think you have to put it into the context of the times; it was quite normal for parents to discipline their children in that way and however unpalatable it may be, Karl was subject to the same treatment from Beethoven himself.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Julie, if you want to see a movie about Beethoven that is more biographical and more actual, check out "Beethoven Lives Upstairs." It's less than an hour long but for the most part it's factual dealing with the time he was writing the 9th Symphony and it's premiere. It's geared more towards children but good and interesting nonetheless, and chock full of great Beethoven tunes.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, Joy, I have seen the movie "Beethoven Lives Upstairs" and totally loved it! I saw it 4 times!

As for the "Immortal Beloved" movie, they throw so many facts at you, it is hard knowing what parts are authentic and what parts aren't. I knew Beethoven's father hit him, I had read about it, what I didn't like was the way it was adressed in the movie, they could have shown his dad hitting him once, we would have gotten the message, rather than showing his dad hit him like 10 or more times.

Another question maybe someone can answer, were Beethoven and his nephew Karl speaking again before Beethoven died? Or did Beethoven not speak to Karl again after Karl's attempted suicide? Or is this fact of the attempted suicide also made up??

Comment

Another question maybe someone can answer, were Beethoven and his nephew Karl speaking again before Beethoven died? Or did Beethoven not speak to Karl again after Karl's attempted suicide? Or is this fact of the attempted suicide also made up??
                  They spoke again, and the suicide attempt was real, though it must have been a half hearted attempt for it to fail. You don't need to be a marksman to shoot yourself in the head.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    They spoke again, and the suicide attempt was real, though it must have been a half hearted attempt for it to fail. You don't need to be a marksman to shoot yourself in the head.

Especially with two pistols! Both the miniature of Karl and the photograph taken in later life (check out the family tree page on this site) show Karl with his hair worn forwards to cover the wound marks.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

As for the "Immortal Beloved" movie, they throw so many facts at you, it is hard knowing what parts are authentic and what parts aren't.
                      Hopefully this site will help you to determine that! After the failed suicide attempt on 30th July 1826, Karl was taken first to his mother's house, then to the general hospital where he remained until sept 25th 1826. Soon after, Karl and Beethoven left for Gneixendorf to visit Beethoven's brother Johann and they remained there until Dec 1st.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, Joy, I have seen the movie "Beethoven Lives Upstairs" and totally loved it! I saw it 4 times!

As for the "Immortal Beloved" movie, they throw so many facts at you, it is hard knowing what parts are authentic and what parts aren't. I knew Beethoven's father hit him, I had read about it, what I didn't like was the way it was adressed in the movie, they could have shown his dad hitting him once, we would have gotten the message, rather than showing his dad hit him like 10 or more times.

Yet another attempt at Hollywood going too far to get the point across.

They tried to patch things up as it were by going to Beethoven's brother Johanne's farm for a few months but that trip turned out to be ill fated as well. Upon their return Beethoven was extremely ill and lived only a few short months after. I think his nephew's suicide attempt was really the beginning of the end for Beethoven as that affected him greatly. For more information there's some great reading out there. May I suggest Thayer's 'Life of Beethoven' for a start.

Joy
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

May I suggest Thayer's 'Life of Beethoven' for a start.

Joy
                          Thanks Joy, have taken the title down and will look for it at the bookstore

Comment

Thanks Joy, have taken the title down and will look for it at the bookstore

For anyone seriously into Beethoven, I would say 'Thayer's Life...' is still the first choice publication. There are some other good books, some more up to date, but none as comprehensive as this one biographically. It is also a first class example of objectivity. Look elsewhere AFTER you have read Thayer's Life.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-31-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                              For anyone seriously into Beethoven, I would say 'Thayer's Life...' is still the first choice publication. There are some other good books, some more up to date, but none as comprehensive as this one biographically. It is also a first class example of objectivity. Look elsewhere AFTER you have read Thayer's Life.
                              And how do you feel about Solomon's biography?

Comment

Working...
                              X