Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bach's 'cello suite in G more famous than all of this solo violin music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bach's 'cello suite in G more famous than all of this solo violin music?

Well, with the possible exception of the one containing the chaconne. But in every picture I've seen with a character who plays the cello, the number one movement, re-si-la-si-re-si-re-sol, of that suite is heard at some point. I'm recollecting the picture about the Jaqueline Dupre and his unfortunate marriage with Daniel Baremboin. Films depicting a violin student or player are much less frequent, due to the enormous popularitiry the cello has got over the past forty years. I think the cinematographic industry has picked up the subject due to the particular position a woman displays when executing at the violoncello. Anyway, I see now I am answering the question myself. It's a matter of the popularity of an instrument or rather, of the novel appearance of one instrument among the great public (who knew the cello 50 years back?). But why Bach's suites and in particular no. 1?

It's the most catchy if far from the greatest.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very popular in solemn movie trailers, for some reason.

Comment

I think the opening movement is the favorite one for cello professors to make their pupils play in the first years. I think my music vocabulary has a new word now: catchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          [...] I think the cinematographic industry has picked up the subject due to the particular position a woman displays when executing at the violoncello [...]
          Whatever do you mean, Enrique? Well, of course I know! There is that famous story of the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham reprimanding a lady 'cellist ...
          Sorry, I can't continue the story because the last time I did so I was reported to the Moderators for posting "material" considered sexually offensive. Let me know via PM if you'd like the full story, unless you know it already, of course!

Comment

I would have thought the prelude of the Violin Partita No. 3 was the most famous movement out of the Bach works for solo violin and cello.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              Whatever do you mean, Enrique? Well, of course I know! There is that famous story of the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham reprimanding a lady 'cellist ...
              Sorry, I can't continue the story because the last time I did so I was reported to the Moderators for posting "material" considered sexually offensive. Let me know via PM if you'd like the full story, unless you know it already, of course!
              Now that brought a wicked smile to my lips.

Comment

And a smile to my wicked lips.
                Although I think I got away with Beecham's description of the sound of the harpsichord.

Comment

I think we can cope with the wit of Tommy Beecham!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I would of course and I'll PM you right now. Musicians' jokes are always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      I think we can cope with the wit of Tommy Beecham!
                      Well, last time I did (here on the BRS during a difficult period involving certain forum members now banned) it was removed by the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                        I would of course and I'll PM you right now. Musicians' jokes are always welcome.
                        OK Enrique, I've just sent you the Beecham story via PM as requested.

Comment

Yes, I try to keep the place pretty clean in terms of racy content and language. I like to think this could be a useful resource for younger music-lovers as well.

Comment

Two clean quotes from Sir Tommy: (Not word for word - but from my memory)

"The late quartets? Written by a deaf man - best listened to by a deaf man."

"The last movement of Beethoven's 7th is like a bunch of yaks galloping around".

He did make a great recording of the C major mass, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Two clean quotes from Sir Tommy: (Not word for word - but from my memory)

"The late quartets? Written by a deaf man - best listened to by a deaf man."
                              "The last movement of Beethoven's 7th is like a bunch of yaks galloping around".
                              He did make a great recording of the C major mass, though.
                              You may not believe this, but I have actually seen yaks in two places:
                              a) Nepal;
                              b) in the Black Forest (I'm serious! In a sloping field next to a trout farm.).
                              In neither place could I have described them as excitable, galloping sort of animals. I don't think Beecham ever saw one, or maybe he was hallucinating on his 'powders'? Somehow I think Wagner was a lot closer in his description of this movement !

Comment

Working...
                              X