WoO32 on rare page!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoO32 on rare page!

This fine duet for Viola and 'cello is featured on the rare page. Quite amazing the texture B achieves with just two string instruments.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    ...Quite amazing the texture B achieves with just two string instruments.
    Quite so, and I assure you these amazing textures are enhanced in no small measure by the 'authentic' approach of this recording.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-29-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Amazing is right! Just beautiful. I've been wanting to hear this piece and the title has always intrigued me. Also enjoyed the history.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I am going to be playing "With Two Eyeglasses Obligato" in about three weeks, and my violist friend and I have been wondering about the origin of its name. Thank you for the background information. It is such a joy to play.

Comment

Love this piece too! I'm surprised it's not a better known piece, given the relative paucity of music written for viola. Agree with comment on textures.

As far as origin of title, I thought i read somewhere that the piece was composed for two individuals (a violist and 'cellist) who regarded these lower string instruments as being subordinate, merely providing support and bass lines for the virtuosity of the violins. In other words, Beethoven regarded these two musicians as musically "myopic", and composed the duetto (with obligatory eyeglasses) for these myopic musicians. The duetto does, in fact, demonstrate (imho) the beauty and virtuosity of the cello, which is no surprise, and especially of the viola, a largely subordinate instrument with only a modest body of music composed for it.

Then again, maybe I dreamed this up? It seems too simple an explanation to suggest that the duetto was composed for two people who wore eyeglasses ... I'd be interested if anyone else has read or heard of something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by David:
            Love this piece too! I'm surprised it's not a better known piece, given the relative paucity of music written for viola. Agree with comment on textures.

I'm not aware of any other piece for this combination by a great composer and wonder if anyone else is? Mozart wrote two wonderful duos for Viola and Violin (K.423 and K.424).

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

The recording I have of the duetto is on a CD of rare compositions for bass strings. The duetto is the lead piece, and the others are varied combonations of viola, cello and contrabass by a variety of composers including Rossini and Michael Haydn. I don't have the disc at hand, but let me know if you want more information. I believe, however, that the B duetto is the only one on the disc specifically for viola and cello.

By the way, I was DELIGHTED to find the WoO32 as the featured work here. Thanks.

David

[This message has been edited by David (edited 10-31-2001).]

Comment

Just a follow up on compositions for bass strings (and also because I didn't want to let this topic die).

The recording of the Beethoven duet that I have is on a disc called "Raritaten fur Tiefe Streicher" (Rarities for Bass Strings), Signum label, volume 2. The opening piece is the B duet. Other works are:

Trio for violoncello, viola and contrabasso by Bernhard Romberg (1767 - 1841)

Duet for violoncello and contrabasso by Gioacchino Rossini (1792 - 1868)

Divertimento for viola, violoncello and contrabasso in Es-dur by Michael Haydn (1737 - 1806)

Sonata in D-dur for viola and contrabasso by Johann Matthias Sperger (1750 - 1812)

As Peter noted, the Beethoven duet is the only one for viola and 'cello, and imho, is by far the superior work of the group. The Mozart duets for violin and viola are indeed wonderful.

Intersting, I just found the contents of Rarities for bass strings volume 1 online, tho I'v not heard these myself:

Franz Anton Hoffmeister (1754 - 1812)
                Quartet for double bass, violin, viola and 'cello in D

Theodor Albin Findeisen (1881 - 1936)
                Romantic suite for double bass and violin Op. 10

Johann Matthias Sperger (1750 - 1812)
                Cassation for double bass, viola and horn No. 3

Giovanni Bottesini (1821 -1889)
                "Tutto il mondo serra" (for piano, double bass and soprano)

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but some of these composers seem to be as rare as their works. There you have it.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 11-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by David (edited 11-06-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                X