Beethoven's sonata no. 27.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's sonata no. 27.

I'd like to know: what is the form of the sonata no.27, 1st movement? Wikipedia says very little. Perhaps you, Peter, can answer this.

Sonata No. 27 in E minor has only two movements: the first is in sonata form and the second movement is a rondo.
    Apart from No. 29 (the Hammerklavier) the E minor was the last of the 32 that opened with a "conventional" sonata-form first movement.
    His very last sonata is also a two-movement work but the first movement is in recognisable sonata form with (for Beethoven) a very short development section.

Last edited by Michael; 10-31-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Sonata No. 27 in E minor has only two movements: the first is in sonata form and the second movement is a rondo.
      Apart from No. 29 (the Hammerklavier) the E minor was the last of the 32 that opened with a "conventional" sonata-form first movement.
      His very last sonata is also a two-movement work but the first movement is in recognisable sonata form with (for Beethoven) a very short development section.
      That is to say, both first movements (27 & 32) are sonata form. Now in 32 you say the development ios very short. Perhaps this is the case, too, for 27? If I posted, it was because, I was hearing the first theme several times! i do not know, something sounded weird, not of course to the ear but to the mind.

Comment

Working...
      X