X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical music teaser - round 4

RULES:

After attempting one question you have to wait 12 hours before attempting another one unless someone else has attempted that question first. The questions cover anything to do with classical music and are not Beethoven specific.

If anyone wishes to send a PM with their answers that's ok, but I won't acknowledge them as correct or otherwise until posted on the forum - however if they are correct and someone else posts it first on the forum, then I'll credit the person with the PM as well. Please limit PM answers to no more than one per day.

Posted a few days early as I'm away for a few days next week

1) Mountain air sounds a dandy idea. Answered by Quijote (aka the Don) and Michael by PM: Vincent d'Indy - Symphony on a French Mountain Air.

2) Colourful offering derived for a Royal ballet. Answered by PDG: In 1977, a ballet called 'Royal Offering' was created, with music based on Arthur Bliss's 'A Colour Symphony'.

3) Spring, listed as a site of pilgrimage? Answered by Michael: Au bord d'une source by Liszt from Années de Pèlerinage

4) Written in a hurry, controversy surrounds him. Answered by Michael after hint from PDG: The oldest piece of notated music is the Hurrian hymn from 1400BC found in Ugarit, Syria which has however been interpreted in different ways. While there are great differences between the reconstructed scores, there is agreement that it is, in fact, a musical score. Professor Kilmer’s 1972 realisation is controversial as it implies the use of harmony at a far earlier date than previously thought possible.

5) Ring and tell Bill in no.15. Answered by PDG (and Michael by PM): Rossini's William Tell and Siegfried's funeral music from Wagner's Ring cycle are quoted in Shostakovich symphony no.15.

6) Southern lager for opening. Answered by Michael: Elgar overture 'In the South'.
    'Man know thyself'

5) Ring and Tell Bill in no. 15.

Today, I listened to Shostakovich's Symphony #15 (his last), and in there we definitely hear the William Tell Overture and - I suspect - echoes of Wagner's Ring (which I don't fully know)?

Comment

Q1 : Beginning to get a grasp of the Blue Baron's devious, evil mind finally.
      "Symphony on a French Mountain Air" (Symphonie sur un chant montagnard français), Op. 25, written in 1886 by Vincent d'Indy.
      Dandy = D'Indy. Geddit?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
        Q1 : Beginning to get a grasp of the Blue Baron's devious, evil mind finally.
        "Symphony on a French Mountain Air" (Symphonie sur un chant montagnard français), Op. 25, written in 1886 by Vincent d'Indy.
        Dandy = D'Indy. Geddit?
        Wasn't Geddit a German composer from the Renaissance?

Comment

No. 4 can't possibly be: "Handy Dandy" by Bob Dylan.

The opening lyrics are:

"Handy dandy, controversy surrounds him
          He been around the world and back again
          Something in the moonlight still hounds him
          Handy dandy, just like sugar and candy"

It would be another dandy, but I know it's wrong!
          Last edited by Michael; 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No. 4 can't possibly be: "Handy Dandy" by Bob Dylan.

The opening lyrics are:

"Handy dandy, controversy surrounds him
            He been around the world and back again
            Something in the moonlight still hounds him
            Handy dandy, just like sugar and candy"

It would be another dandy, but I know it's wrong!
            Indeed but your wrong answers are always so good!!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 6's "lager" looks an anigram of Elgar, so I would suggest his overture "In the South"?

(This idea came after a few days trying out various brands of beer - on paper, of course!)

Comment

Everybody seems to have forgotten about this quiz so I'll have a shot at No. 3.
                Could it be the first of Liszt's "Years of Pilgrimage" piano suites where the fourth movement is called: "Beside a Spring"?

Comment

Typing fast before the connection goes: Haven't forgotten, in the Black Forest with a USB internet stick, too slow for Google, will try and catch up tomorrow (6 November) when I get back to HQ for Blue Baron war dispatches.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM. Reason: Cabbage crate all shot to hell, Bosch everywhere....

Comment

Bump.

(Not a thread booster but the sound of me banging my head off the computer in frustration with No. 2 and 4. Any ideas? Anyone?)

Comment

So you're all Googled out, eh, Michael?

4). Salman Rushdie? Oh no, sorry, not a composer...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        So you're all Googled out, eh, Michael?
                        Yep. I've even tried gargling.

Comment

Merde! 2 questions to go, come on, the Blue Baron must be vanquished ! I'll try later once I've posted my Vienna Report.

Comment

This is "a long shot, Watson", as Sherlock would say, but could No. 4 refer to Mozart's Requiem and the (unlikely) legend that Salieri poisoned him?

(At least I'm trying!)

(And don't reply "extremely".)

Comment

Big clue here - no.2 is slightly easier than no.4, but both are harder than the others as you're getting too good at this. Not much help I know
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X