"Spring" Sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Spring" Sonata

I see that there are no recommendations for period instrument recordings of the violin sonatas at the recommended cd's webbie. Anyone care to recommend some here?

We enjoyed my first live performance of the Spring sonata last week in a very intimate setting: beer & pizza at a pub. The second of this season's Chamber Music On Tap performances here in Portland, Oregon featured the principal second violinist of the Oregon Symphony (www.orsymphony.org/orchestra/player/pptan.html) and (local?) pianist Julie Coleman.

Ms. Tan started off with two mm'ts from one of JSBach's Sonatas & Partitas. Then the Spring Sonata, followed by Kreisler's Praeludium and Allegro. After intermission, the two were joined by two other OR Symphony members for Schumann's Piano Quartet.

Overall, a lovely early evening of chamber music in a cozy brewpub setting (http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/pubs/rent.html). I sat so close (by intent, of course) that I may as well have been a second violist, and did in fact read along with the viola part of the Schumann. Not that I can read music much, having only a couple of formal years of education as a kinder...

I couldn't help but think of how it could have sounded and felt with a forte piano in place of the baby grand (Steinway?).

Next month's CMOT will feature a pair of musicians about whom I know nothing except that there is a Timothy Scott in the cello section of the OR Symphony. So...if Ms. Smith is a pianist...maybe a B Cello Sonata? One can only hope.
    (http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/whatsbrewing/events/)

I believe Rod recommended Jaap Schroder with Jos van Immerseel on forte piano (Deutche Harmonia Mundi label).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
      I see that there are no recommendations for period instrument recordings of the violin sonatas at the recommended cd's webbie. Anyone care to recommend some here?
      As peter has said there is a good version still available by Schroder and van Immerseel on Deutche Harmonia Mundi, 05472 77413 2. It includes a great op47 also (which I demonstrated here as an mp3 to universal acclaim). These tracks were released originally as part of set of the complete vn sonatas which I have but is no longer in the catalogue. When I first bought this set I immediately gave away my set by Perlman and Ashkenazy, knowing I would never play it again.

The only current complete vn sonatas on period instruments is available on Nimbus. I haven't heard it but it recieved awfull reviews. That being said, my set by Schroder and Immerseel also received an awful review in Gramophone magazine!

Originally posted by NickB:

I couldn't help but think of how it could have sounded and felt with a forte piano in place of the baby grand (Steinway?).
      Much MUCH better. But the violin must be considered too. Needless to say it also sounds much MUCH better.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-27-2001).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X