Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowed instruments and right vs. left hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowed instruments and right vs. left hand.

In bowed instruments, like those in the string section of a symphonic orchestra for example, the left hand fingers are used to tread the strings whereas the right hand/arm drives the bow. I'm wondering why this has to be so. Of the two hands, the left one is doing the most difficult. Yes, the right arm has no little work to do. The bow technique is quite complex. But that which has the more work is the left hand, from double bass to violin and other bowed instruments.

So, why have things come up to be this way? I expect someone won't answer "why not?".

I can't agree with you on this point, Enrique. Of course finger dexterity and correct positioning (intonation) are paramount, but the bowing technique is equally important, if not more so. The fingers "indicate" the note, the bowing "makes" the note.

Comment

I think the true reason lies in the fact that you must be able to apply force (with the bow) when necessary. E.g., if you play in two strings at the same time, each of them must receive the same force and, hence, the force is double. Not the infinite subtelties of bowing in itself, but the governing of dynamics.

Comment

Then, another doubt: how do left-handed players play in the string section of an orchestra? Do they hold the instrument and bow the other way around? Sincere question.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          Then, another doubt: how do left-handed players play in the string section of an orchestra? Do they hold the instrument and bow the other way around? Sincere question.
          No, everyone who plays the violin or other stringed instrument plays it the same way - "right handed". Otherwise people would be knocking their bows together and the whole thing would look like a real mess. So, no matter which hand is dominant, you can learn to play either way, and for the sake of consistency everyone bows with the right hand.

You see some left-handed modern guitarists playing the other way around - Paul McCartney, Jimmy Hendricks, and others strung their instruments the opposite way and used their right hands to finger the notes. They now build guitars specifically to be played left handed. But this is never done in classical playing.

Comment

Oh, that was the real object of my question. "...knocking their bows toghether". By the way, was Sting the name of a singer or of the whole group? I can't find any reference in wikipedia.

Comment

Sting? That's a guy. He was in a band called The Police.

Comment

He had a peculiar voice, that I liked.

Comment

Working...
                X