X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gellert songs - mp3's

The Op.48 Gellert songs are available on the rare page
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

I have a version of these on Hyperion with Stephan Genz and Richard Vignoles which has extra stanzas not included in the first edition - hopefully I have correctly listed the stanzas available on these mp3's!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-15-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Not bad for an MP3.
    Do you know the version of Dietrich FISCHER DIESKAU ? Personnally I prefer Fritz WUNDERLICH....

------------------
    Claudie
    Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
      Not bad for an MP3.
      Do you know the version of Dietrich FISCHER DIESKAU ? Personnally I prefer Fritz WUNDERLICH....
      Of the tracks presented here, I prefer the leaner sound of Partridge, though his is not a particularly outstanding performance. DFD is too noisy for me.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I like the Fischer Dieskau version of these songs but I think I prefer Hermann Prey. He has a deeper but softer tone.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          I like the Fischer Dieskau version of these songs but I think I prefer Hermann Prey. He has a deeper but softer tone.

Michael
          I think DFD is already too deep! A clear and lean tone is required for these songs, with vibrato only used to eccentuate a note on occasion, not used obligato all the time across all notes. DFD shakes the whole Earth sometimes!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-16-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            I think DFD is already too deep! A clear and lean tone is required for these songs, with vibrato only used to eccentuate a note on occasion, not used obligato all the time across all notes. DFD shakes the whole Earth sometimes!!

I agree... this came more after he wanted to become a Verdi singer. I also sometimes do not like sone sounds of him which are quite "vulgar" as colour.
            I just wanted your opinions because here in Germany he is considered as a god and I do not agree with that. He is very intellectual (one reason for which his Verdi was also not appropriated...) and did a good job to renew a lot of "unknown"lieder and because of his recording Beethoven a lot of people discovered that B. could write very good singing music.
            WUNDERLICH and PREY are for me a reference.

------------------
            Claudie
            Claudie

Comment

I agree... this came more after he wanted to become a Verdi singer. I also sometimes do not like sone sounds of him which are quite "vulgar" as colour.
              I just wanted your opinions because here in Germany he is considered as a god and I do not agree with that. He is very intellectual (one reason for which his Verdi was also not appropriated...) and did a good job to renew a lot of "unknown"lieder and because of his recording Beethoven a lot of people discovered that B. could write very good singing music.
              WUNDERLICH and PREY are for me a reference.

[/B][/QUOTE]

It surprises me that he wanted to become a Verdi singer, as his singing of B's few Italian songs in this lieder set is the worst of them all! Nevertheless I still recommend this set, in the absence of an 'authentic' alternative, as the essence of B's songs still manages to survive DFD's exuberances!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-19-2001).]

Comment

It surprises me that he wanted to become a Verdi singer, as his singing of B's few Italian songs in this lieder set is the worst of them all!
                He tried to do that to be on stage with his wife, Julia VARADY. He has even recorded a CD of VERDI's most wellknown arias.

------------------
                Claudie
                Claudie

Comment

He has even recorded a CD of VERDI's most wellknown arias.

Well, I'm sure the Germans liked it...if not the Italians!

------------------

Comment

Well, I'm sure the Germans liked it...if not the Italians!

Not at all : the CD had no success in Germany (it was not German enough !) neither in Italy (it was not Italian enough !)

------------------
                    Claudie
                    Claudie

Comment

Not at all : the CD had no success in Germany (it was not German enough !) neither in Italy (it was not Italian enough !)
                      And no success with this Englishman because he is singing Verdi!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-24-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                      X