Op. 47, "The Bridgetower" sonata!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    I would say this is true, appart from the direct quote from Handel's concerto grosso in C minor (Grave) in the opening movement of Op70/2. Though this is just my impression. I'll upload the (short) piece in question on Monday (accessible at this chain) for others to assess.

Very interesting. I do not think that a reminiscence from an Haendel's work can be considered as a "plagiat" as some people could tell : it is interesting to see how two great composers can treat the same few notes. The reverence B. had for H. is clear.
    It is not surprising he was haunted by a tune from this fantastic composer.

------------------
    Claudie
    Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
      The reverence B. had for H. is clear.
      It is not surprising he was haunted by a tune from this fantastic composer.

It is very easy to get haunted by Handel, as anyone who has heard the above mp3 will not be able to deny. My jaw dropped when I first heard op6, at that time I thought no composer other than Beethoven was capable of inducing this reaction (certainly no other has since). How so much can be said by the most simple of means - indeed the simplicity infact enhances the meaning - this is surely what Beethoven admired most of all about Handel.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

It is very easy to get haunted by Handel, as anyone who has heard the above mp3 will not be able to deny.
        Of course you will be able to visit the house of the great Handel from Nov.8th - I certainly intend a pilgrimage at some time!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

How so much can be said by the most simple of means - indeed the simplicity infact enhances the meaning - this is surely what Beethoven admired most of all about Handel.

Exactly my opinion : a big world with opened with the most simplicity.

Just thinking of the Aria "piangerĂ²" from Giulio Cesare.... incredible !

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:

Exactly my opinion : a big world with opened with the most simplicity.

Just thinking of the Aria "piangerĂ²" from Giulio Cesare.... incredible !

Makes Verdi sound like an amateur.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X