Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eybler, Joseph Leopold.

Another plain Joseph. This guy, along with Kozeluch, Dittersdorf, Haydn (and another guy called Beethoven) wrote dance music for a number of annual balls in Vienna.
    In fact, for a time, most Viennese music was balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Eybler, Joseph Leopold.

Another plain Joseph. This guy, along with Kozeluch, Dittersdorf, Haydn (and another guy called Beethoven) wrote dance music for a number of annual balls in Vienna.
      In fact, for a time, most Viennese music was balls.
      At least he has a Leopold in his name. I really was looking for that in your concocted name! You should add it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        At least he has a Leopold in his name. I really was looking for that in your concocted name! You should add it.
        No room on the headstone!

Comment

F = Emanuel Aloys Förster. Yes, sorry, another DV project contributor.
          I'm getting fed up with these DV contributors. Anyway, here's the Wikipedia entry about this fellow:

Emanuel Aloys Förster was born in Niedersteine bei Glatz in Silesia (at that time in the Duchy of Austria).
          Almost nothing is known of his family or parents except that his father was an administrator in an economics office. From his early youth, Emanuel composed several concertos and many sonatas purely from his correct musical ear. He acquired only later a copy of a theoretical work by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (probably Versuch über die wahre Art das Klavier zu spielen, "Essay on the true art of keyboard playing"), which he copied out. When he had left school he went to work for some years in his father's office, and then he was called up into the Prussian army and spent the last two years of the Seven Years War as an oboist in the "Fouquet'schen Regiment". After that (around 1763) he went to Mittelwalde where he lived in the intimate circle of, and studied with, the (at that time) famous organist Johann Georg Pausewang. Probably through his agency, Förster went to Prague from 1776–79, after which he settled in Vienna, where he worked as a composer and music teacher. Through his marriage to Eleonore von Reczka, he developed contacts to the Viennese aristocracy, which furthered his reputation.

In Vienna, he became friends with Mozart and Haydn, while his students included Louis Niedermeyer and Franz Pecháček. Through Prince Karl Lichnowsky, he met Ludwig van Beethoven; the composer, 22 years his junior, appreciated his talents and recommended students to him, including Andreas Rasumofsky and Charles Neate. Förster's compositions were often played, along with those of Beethoven and Haydn, by the legendary Schuppanzigh Quartet.

In addition to his compositions, he wrote an "Introduction to the Figured Bass," a treatise for composition students.

Comment

Ah, "figured bass", what a gas that is. I'm doing some "free counterpoint" tomorrow with my students and they'll be doing figured bass on the fiendish exercises I have set them. Oh what fun we shall have. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              Ah, "figured bass", what a gas that is. I'm doing some "free counterpoint" tomorrow with my students and they'll be doing figured bass on the fiendish exercises I have set them. Oh what fun we shall have. Not.
              You might have some fun with the results.

Comment

Grasnick - Beethoven's sketchbook. sketched Opus 18, nos. 1, 3, 19, WoO 73. 1798/99
                🎹

Comment

Hofel, Blasius. Did an engraving of Beethoven from a sketch by Letronne.

Comment

I = Interrupted cadence. Used plentifully by LvB.
                    Last edited by Quijote; 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM. Reason: Yes, had harmony classes today.

Comment

Jeitteles, Alois . Physician and poet. As a young medical student the text of Beethoven's song cycle, An die ferne Geliebte early in 1816.

Quijote, did you mention you were going to start another quiz?
                      I'm getting jet lag.
                      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        Jeitteles, Alois . Physician and poet. As a young medical student the text of Beethoven's song cycle, An die ferne Geliebte early in 1816.

Quijote, did you mention you were going to start another quiz?
                        I'm getting jet lag.
                        I think we've had that "J" before, Megan. Come on, another go for you ....
                        Another quiz? I think this one and the Blue Baron's (BB) are enough for the moment, but it would be a great idea if we could come up with our own CM Teasers from time to time just to put the BB under a bit of pressure!
                        Jet lag? Where you been, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                          I think we've had that "J" before, Megan. Come on, another go for you ....
                          Another quiz? I think this one and the Blue Baron's (BB) are enough for the moment, but it would be a great idea if we could come up with our own CM Teasers from time to time just to put the BB under a bit of pressure!
                          Jet lag? Where you been, then?

Another J

Jeanie's Distress. From Scottish Songs.

Jet lag , because it seems we've been going for ages and running out of steam
                          🎹

Comment

Karaoke. Not many people know this but Beethoven invented karaoke, the literal translation of which is "Deaf Master". He rehearsed the last movement of the Ninth a number of times without soloists and had to supply the vocals himself. The fact that he couldn't hear didn't help.

This astounding fact is so hard to believe, that I feel it's my duty to supply another K just to keep everybody happy:

Kuffner, Christoph. Viennese writer. B composed a couple of items for his tragedy "Tarpeja". Kuffner may have written the text for the Choral Fantasia.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Karaoke. Not many people know this ...
                              You sound like Michael Caine, Michael! ("Not a lot people know that").
                              Hang on, you're not, er ... one and the same, are you?

Comment

L = Lento. One of those tempo markings used by "The Man".

Comment

Working...
                                X