Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Op. 7 mentioned above (3rd movement, Allegro) : jeez, that Ludwig gives us his all in this movement! E-Flat / C minor seem to bring the devil out of the man!!!!
    Got me scrubbing out those burnt pans no problem.

Comment

Further thoughts now the washing up is done (and the last dribbles of red wine guzzled): speaking off the top of my hat, there is something about E-Flat / C minor that I can't quite explain. On the 'cello they are great keys (sonorous, easy under the fingers); on the piano? Rich and red-wine like? Dunno.

Comment

Possible exam question: "Explain why LvB 'goes ape' when in C minor. Answers in under 94 pages, with relevant quotations from the repertoire".

Comment

This weekend I've been listening to Aida.

Quijote, those early sonatas were among the first I was exposed to as complete sonatas. The E flat is among my favorites. Something that caught my attention with that one in particular (and the C Major, Op. 2, No. 3) that Beethoven played a lot with the sonorities of the instrument, I refer to the broken chords that range from one end of the keyboard to the other. You do not hear that sort of thing in the Mozart or Haydn sonatas, it was as if Beethoven was exploring the whole range of sound of the instrument.

Comment

Today:

Zemlinsky:
            Lyrische symphonie opus 18 (1923)

Berg:
            3 Pieces from the „Lyrische Suite“
            5 Altenberg-lieder opus 4

Norman:
            String Quartet in E opus 20 (1855) (R3 TtN iPlayer)

Bliss:
            The Beatitudes N.28 (1961) (R3 iPlayer)

Respighi:
            Toccata for piano and orchestra (1928)
            Fantasia slava (1903)

Louis Andriessen:
            Facing Death (1990)
            Quartet in 2 movements (1957)

De Man:
            Gramvousa (1995)

Off abroad now. I will be back Friday Oct 12th.

Comment

Right now, I am in a much deeper state of being and am listening to the Kyrie from the Missa Solemnis. What I feel is profoundly beautiful and deep. I imagine that Beethoven felt it on a far different level, but either way I am enjoying the depth of imagining spirituality – especially in a world where there seems to so little.

While listening to the Missa Solemnis – knowing Beethoven spent 4 years writing it and considered it his greatest work – it makes you realize that Beethoven meant well, very well. Yes, on the outside he was brutish, violent, abusive (verbally and physically), etc. etc. etc., but on the inside I think good meant very much to him.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Have a good trip, Roehre!

Last night: Huber: Symphony No. 1 (Thanks, Roehre!)

Preston, the Kyrie is very powerful, indeed! Note how the soloists take on the Christe section, as though to personalize a relationship with Christ. It's all very well put together!

Comment

Listening to Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Swans.

To my mind based on all of the music I have heard by him - he was definitely not your flamboyant gay. His music seems to always have such a great depth. And, not just any depth - a great depth. I don't know why he worshiped Mozart so much, seeing as his music resembles that of Beethoven's more, imo? I imagine he was confused with himself (like we all are), because his music reminds me nothing of Mozart's.
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Franz Liszt
                    Three Concert Studies, No.2 ?La LeggierezzA

Sigismond Thalberg
                    Fantasie on themes from Moses (Rossini) Op.33

Franz Liszt
                    Grand fantasie sur des themes de l' opéra Niobe
                    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Sibelius, Symphony No. 2.

Comment

Schoenberg, Violin Concerto, Robert Craft conducting.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                          Listening to Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Swans.

To my mind based on all of the music I have heard by him - he was definitely not your flamboyant gay. His music seems to always have such a great depth. And, not just any depth - a great depth. I don't know why he worshiped Mozart so much, seeing as his music resembles that of Beethoven's more, imo? I imagine he was confused with himself (like we all are), because his music reminds me nothing of Mozart's.
                          Mozart's music is more lyrical than Beethoven's and that might be an important consideration for Tchaikovsky's interest.

This morning:

Villa-Lobos:
                          A prole do beb
                          Fantasia for Soprano Saxophone and orchestra
                          Albinino: Adagio in G Minor (arranged for saxophones)

Comment

This morning:

Vanhal: Symphony in E Flat

Vaughn Williams: Overture to The Wasp

Comment

Beethoven Emperor concerto at the Leeds International piano competition - nice performance, one of two in the final concerto round.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

This evening.

Opera on 3

Mozart's The Magic Flute from the 2012 Salzburg Festival. Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducts.
                                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
                                X