This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG View Post
    You think it's as good as mediocre? For me, music today is about as interesting and as palatable as a stale loaf of bread or a corrupt politician. A zero rating on my interest scale. I don't think I've heard more than 5 remotely interesting songs from any 'popular' band in over 20 years (and I'm still - just - in my 40s)....
    I'm with you 100%, PDG. I suppose what I meant by mediocre is that it isn't even interestingly bad, if you follow me.
    And what do you mean by a corrupt politician? The word "corrupt" isn't necessary any more!

Comment

Prokofiev: Symphony no.5, Piano concertos 1-3.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Prokofiev, symphony no. 3.

Comment

This morning:

Villa-Lobos: String Quartet No. 13

Comment

Tonight, during a pre-conference lecture, extracts from Franz Shrecker's Der ferne Klang (The Distant Sound). Totally new music to me (late Romantic slush, but nice slush...). Kind of like Bruckner might have done had he lived another 20 years or so and had been with a woman.
            Last edited by Quijote; 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              Tonight, during a pre-conference lecture, extracts from Franz Shrecker's Der ferne Klang (The Distant Sound). Totally new music to me (late Romantic slush, but nice slush...). Kind of like Bruckner might have done had he lived another 20 years or so and had been with a woman.
              Do you refer to "The Distant Sound" in regards to Bruckner, had he been with a woman? (Grin!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Do you refer to "The Distant Sound" in regards to Bruckner, had he been with a woman? (Grin!)
                Ooh! Whatever do you mean, Sorrano? Methinks you have a dirty mind! Unlike my own pure, unsullied one. Ahem.

Comment

Prokofiev: symphony no.3

The 3rd mov seems Prokofiev plagiarizing himself, and its final chord, I cant hear the fifth! Ahh, no. Could somebody tell me what happens at the final bars (3rd mov)? It seems as if it's ending in E minor but, at the last moment, ends in C major. But I could convince myself, when listening, that the final chord establishes the tonality of E minor. May be the same happened to the Ninth listeners when the A goes down to F natural with the words vor Gott (ff). But here there is a voice that reaches the C.
                  Last edited by Enrique; 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Episode 5
                    Afternoon on 3, BBC National Orchestra of Wales Episode 5 of 5

Duration: 2 hours, 30 minutes
                    First broadcast:Friday 19 October 2012On offer today more music from an undeservedly neglected Welsh composer, Daniel Jones in this his centenary year, conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes.
                    Daniel Jones: Symphony no. 11 (in memoriam George Froom Tyler)
                    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
                    Owain Arwel Hughes (conductor)
                    2.20pm
                    Elgar: Cello Concerto
                    Julian Lloyd Webber (cello)
                    2.50pm
                    Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony
                    from 3.45pm
                    Litolff: Concerto Symphonique No.5 in C Minor Op.123
                    Peter Donohoe (piano)
                    BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
                    Andrew Litton (conductor).  Show less

On offer today more music from an undeservedly neglected Welsh composer, Daniel Jones in this his centenary year, conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes.

Daniel Jones: Symphony no. 11
                    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Some Beethoven folksong arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        Some Beethoven folksong arrangements.

(If you had listened to them all, you would have got several Os for the ongoing alphabetical thread!)

Comment

I don't like to cheat, Mike. All the folksongs should be covered by 'F'. And I won't say what the 'F' stands for...

(I hope I'm allowed to say that; after all, it is after the Watershed...)...

Comment

Dmitri Shostakovich
                            Symphony No.1 in F major (Op.10)
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I have a recording of that work which I cherish.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                                I have a recording of that work which I cherish.
                                It's a great discovery for me, I am still listening to it on BBC Radio 3, through the night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_three
                                Last edited by Megan; 10-20-2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X