• Show
Clear All

Last night:

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5

This morning:

Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA

Listening to this version of the 9th. It is my favorite. It is the version played by an orchestra where the tempo is much slower. So, for me, there is much more feeling, and it is much more sane, imo. I am not saying it is a correct performance of the 9th, that I do not know, but I am not saying that the other performances of the 9th are correct either.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA

Listening to this version of the 9th. It is my favorite. It is the version played by an orchestra where the tempo is much slower. So, for me, there is much more feeling, and it is much more sane, imo. I am not saying it is a correct performance of the 9th, that I do not know, but I am not saying that the other performances of the 9th are correct either.
        This is far too slow for my taste, I'm afraid. It all sounds rather plodding.
        Anyway, each to their own ...

Comment

Last night:
          Beethoven: !st movement of the 3rd Piano Concerto

This morning:
          Weber: Konzertstuck in F Minor

Comment

This morning:

Reger: Variations and a Fugue on a theme by Beethoven (from the Bagatelles, Op. 119)

Comment

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue

Comment

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Nel grave tormento from Mitridate

Performer: Sandrine Piau (soprano) Performer: Freiburg Baroque Orchestra Performer: Gottfried von der Goltz (conductor)

Beautiful aria, beautifully sung.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This morning:

Dvorak: Final movement of the 8th Symphony

Comment

Listening to a work by George Frederick Bristow, his Symphony in F#.

It makes one think how many composers are forgotten that have written good, great, etc. music are forgotten. It is a shame, indeed.

Anyway, one thing I found interesting was that he was an American who lived during the romantic Era of music. Seems kind of rare, though I may be wrong? Though, probably not as rare as a the classical or baroque eras of music. I wonder if America even had orchestras in the baroque era?

Anyway, I do not understand the feelings of this piece near as well as I do more modern music, which is kind of the problem I have with classical, well pretty much is. I have great trouble picking up on things like the melodic stuff, etc. It all sounds so different. Though, I do want to say this symphony seems to be very strong at times, beautiful, etc.

Another point I would like to raise, which I should probably start another thread on, is about why people do not listen to classical. I do not think it is because of an somekind of strange insecurity on their part but I believe it is that they simply cannot connect to it, much in the way I can't. It is very strange this. So, by not being able to connect to classical, they hear a bunch of noise (literally - noise), and therefore find it intolerable. I do not think it has to do with a person being better than another so therefore they can hear classical properly - I say that because to be able to understand such great music is a very special gift and one would wonder, I think - what I do think is that this world is unfair and some people get it and others don't - I couldn't imagine anyone saying this world is not unfair.

Anyway, just some thoughts for me to think about and probably need to start a thread about this subject?

Comment

B's first two cello sonatas. Lovely shtuff, as we say in Ireland.

(Later: Wound up listening to all the works for piano and cello, the second and third Razumovsky and, for dessert, the Grosse Fuge.
                      My doctor has put me on a diet, so I overdosed on Beethoven.)

Last edited by Michael; 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: Hunger pangs.

Comment

Another point I would like to raise, which I should probably start another thread on, is about why people do not listen to classical. I do not think it is because of an somekind of strange insecurity on their part but I believe it is that they simply cannot connect to it, much in the way I can't. It is very strange this. So, by not being able to connect to classical, they hear a bunch of noise (literally - noise), and therefore find it intolerable. I do not think it has to do with a person being better than another so therefore they can hear classical properly - I say that because to be able to understand such great music is a very special gift and one would wonder, I think - what I do think is that this world is unfair and some people get it and others don't - I couldn't imagine anyone saying this world is not unfair.

Anyway, just some thoughts for me to think about and probably need to start a thread about this subject?
                        I think there are too many distractions nowadays for young (or even older) people) to sit down and actually listen to an extended piece of music. In my early twenties we had only one channel on a black and white TV so I listened to all kinds of music. Nowadays I would be tempted to go on the internet, put on a DVD or whatever.
                        Popular music today is so bloody mediocre that it doesn't give anybody any incentive to explore beyond it. I'm starting to sound like and old fogey now, but the music of the sixties was inventive and adventurous. The Beatles used string quartets and octets and they led me on to other styles of music.
                        The whole world is going downhill. Bring back the lash, I say!

Comment

Fogeys of Hispanic background would say bring back the garrote !!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            I think there are too many distractions nowadays for young (or even older) people) to sit down and actually listen to an extended piece of music. In my early twenties we had only one channel on a black and white TV so I listened to all kinds of music. Nowadays I would be tempted to go on the internet, put on a DVD or whatever.
                            Popular music today is so bloody mediocre that it doesn't give anybody any incentive to explore beyond it. I'm starting to sound like and old fogey now, but the music of the sixties was inventive and adventurous. The Beatles used string quartets and octets and they led me on to other styles of music.
                            The whole world is going downhill. Bring back the lash, I say!
                            I would like to mention that quite a few of today's popular bands and the years past have worked with orchestra's. Michael, I am curious if you have heard the song November Rain by Guns and Roses? Also, one popular heavy metal band that comes to mind is, Metallica, they are talented and have recorded a complete album with the San Francisco Philharmonic (or some orchestra) - though, I am too much of a fan.

Though, yes, I agree that "junk media" has messed up people's minds - one thing that comes to mind is that we have a less realistic view of life. Though has this not always been the case. Humanities mistakes seem to repeat themselves endlessly.

Another point is that there are far more orchestra's nowadays. Meaning that there are many who still can connect with the classical music.

Another point is that most all music in movies still use the orchestra. Fascinating really, to see the orchestra still alive and kicking after so many years. And even in video games, the composers often use the orchestra.

I guess my point is that the ability to look further into music is there, and people do, it is just they do not have the knack for classical.

Comment

I would like to mention that quite a few of today's popular bands and the years past have worked with orchestra's. Michael, I am curious if you have heard the song November Rain by Guns and Roses? Also, one popular heavy metal band that comes to mind is, Metallica, they are talented and have recorded a complete album with the San Francisco Philharmonic (or some orchestra) - though, I am too much of a fan.

I guess my point is that the ability to look further into music is there, and people do, it is just they do not have the knack for classical.
                              I gave up on "pop" when the Beatles broke up. My son plays the drums and likes Metallica and modern jazz (whatever that means now) but he is heavily into Beethoven and I swear I never forced him to listen. But he maintains it was the background music to his life (I played it so loudly he probably couldn't miss it). In his late teens he started borrowing my classical CDs. He now has all the quartets and more on his iPod (and iPad).
                              Both of us like good film music.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                Popular music today is so bloody mediocre that it doesn't give anybody any incentive to explore beyond it.
                                You think it's as good as mediocre? For me, music today is about as interesting and as palatable as a stale loaf of bread or a corrupt politician. A zero rating on my interest scale. I don't think I've heard more than 5 remotely interesting songs from any 'popular' band in over 20 years (and I'm still - just - in my 40s)....

Comment

Working...
                                X