Forgotten performers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgotten performers

The recent death of the fine pianist Colin Horsley at the age of 92 prompted a little research and I came up with this interesting article on forgotten talents of the 20th century - many of them I'm sure unknown to a lot of people yet outstanding in their day.

http://www.wrightmusic.net/pdfs/lost...f-pianists.pdf
    'Man know thyself'

Somebody told me once about Dinu Lipatti, making great comments about him and I have a few recordings by him. But this is not the case of forgotten artists as your article I think is but of prematurely deceased ones.
    Last edited by Enrique; 08-09-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      The recent death of the fine pianist Colin Horsley at the age of 92 prompted a little research and I came up with this interesting article on forgotten talents of the 20th century - many of them I'm sure unknown to a lot of people yet outstanding in their day.

http://www.wrightmusic.net/pdfs/lost...f-pianists.pdf
      Interesting article, Peter. Perhaps more importantly there are so many forgotten composers. I think the Naxos label attempts to redress this situation. I was in a Virgin mega-store just a couple of days ago in Mannheim (I'm on holiday near this city at the moment) and they had an enormous collection of composers I had never heard of !!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        I was in a Virgin mega-store just a couple of days ago in Mannheim (I'm on holiday near this city at the moment) and they had an enormous collection of composers I had never heard of !!
        I think perhaps you just wandered into Roehre's house by accident.

Comment

Interesting article, Peter. Perhaps more importantly there are so many forgotten composers. I think the Naxos label attempts to redress this situation. I was in a Virgin mega-store just a couple of days ago in Mannheim (I'm on holiday near this city at the moment) and they had an enormous collection of composers I had never heard of !!
          Chris pretty much beat me to that punchline (above), but it is people like Roehre that help us to remember many who have been forgotten. It is amazing to me that you did find a store with so much classical music (so to speak). In this city there might be one or two stores that exist (if they haven't closed down already) that have any classical music.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I think perhaps you just wandered into Roehre's house by accident.
            Hah ! 10/10 for that one !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              Chris pretty much beat me to that punchline (above), but it is people like Roehre that help us to remember many who have been forgotten. It is amazing to me that you did find a store with so much classical music (so to speak). In this city there might be one or two stores that exist (if they haven't closed down already) that have any classical music.
              Hi Sorrano, nice to talk to you again. It's not just Virgin in Mannheim. I was a while ago in my local Harmonia Mundi shop (can you believe that a record label maintains several outlets in France like that? Amazing!) and just browsing through their collection I was equally amazed at the number of 'unknown' composers. Bloody expensive CDs though, I have to say. I'm tempted to become a shoplifter. If caught, I hope the judge is a cultured fellow/dame !!!

Comment

Hi Sorrano, nice to talk to you again. It's not just Virgin in Mannheim. I was a while ago in my local Harmonia Mundi shop (can you believe that a record label maintains several outlets in France like that? Amazing!) and just browsing through their collection I was equally amazed at the number of 'unknown' composers. Bloody expensive CDs though, I have to say. I'm tempted to become a shoplifter. If caught, I hope the judge is a cultured fellow/dame !!!
                There was a good record shop in town many years ago that featured all types of composers and music, but it went belly up for lack of business. That is a sad reflection on the culture here, although we do have a decent classical radio station in the area, which is supported in large measure by donations.

Comment

I made a mistake when I wrote above Virgin mega-store. It was a mega-store called "Saturn". The store in question sells everything from computers, to dishwashers, to TVs and Hi-Fi systems plus, of course, a whole bunch of DVDs, CDs and so on ...

Comment

Working...
                  X