Requests on sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requests on sonatas

Might I ask for some kind recommendations for lesser known Beethoven piano sonatas that are particularly worth knowing. Not the foremost-known ones like the Appassionata, Moonlight, Pathetique, Hammerklavier, Les Adieux, and the late ones, but some others I may not have heard which are especially good. Also which are his most important violin/piano sonatas to know, please. Thanks in advance.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Hello Chaszz - good to hear from you again! Op.26 in Ab is a lovely work (Chopin's favourite Beethoven sonata). Op.28, Op.31/3, Op.78 and Op.90 are less well known but very fine works. Of the violin sonatas Op.24, Op.47 and Op.96 are essential listening!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Hello Chaszz - good to hear from you again! Op.26 in Ab is a lovely work (Chopin's favourite Beethoven sonata). Op.28, Op.31/3, Op.78 and Op.90 are less well known but very fine works. Of the violin sonatas Op.24, Op.47 and Op.96 are essential listening!
      That's a good list. Op. 78 is a particular favorite of mine. I would add another favorite, Op. 14, No. 1 to that. (In fact, Beethoven arranged this work for string quartet as well, Hess 34.)

Beethoven wrote a lot of piano sonatas. But really, each one of them is worth spending time with. I cannot think of another composer and genre with a comparable number of works for which this is also true. The Mozart piano concertos? Great works, but I don't think skipping a few of them would be a great loss. The Haydn piano trios? Also great, but not all of them are essential.

But any piano sonata of Beethoven is worth knowing, and I would not be surprised to hear any one of them named as someone's favorite work.

Comment

My favourite sonatas of the lesser known are: op. 22, 31,2 and 31,3 (Tempest !!!), 78, 79, 90, 101,

Violin Sonatas: op. 30,2 and 47
        From op. 12,2 , op 24 and 96 I adore mainly the wonderful slow movements.

Comment

Thank you all. Now which interpreter? (Rudolf Serkin is my personal favorite for Beethoven sonatas.) And Chris, please mention a few of the greatest Haydn trios.
          Last edited by Chaszz; 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM.
          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The Haydn piano trios composed from the 1780s onward are all great works. No. 39, the "Gypsy", is probably the most famous and would be a good place to start if you are not familiar with the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              The Haydn piano trios composed from the 1780s onward are all great works. No. 39, the "Gypsy", is probably the most famous and would be a good place to start if you are not familiar with the works.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
                Thank you all. Now which interpreter? (Rudolf Serkin is my personal favorite for Beethoven sonatas.) And Chris, please mention a few of the greatest Haydn trios.
                Schnabel for historical reference.
                Wilhelm Kempff's 1st complete recordings.
                Charles Rosen sonatas 27-32
                Claude Frank - relatively unknown but fine performances worth checking out.
                Paul Komen - HIP Fortepiano.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X