X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    Have you still got some Megan?
    See pm.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      See pm.
      Cheers, thanks. I got a few books but some on Kindle- the Kindle is for boring bus journeys and queues! I do like paper books..
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Is that last one by JWN Sullivan?
        If so, it's a brilliant work.
        I got an original copy of the JWN Sullivan book- I think it is a very interesting book and I like the exploration of the spiritual themes in music.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I bought this book in London in 1971 but, while I have frequently used it for information, I have never read it from cover to cover until this year. I am now about half-way through it and it's not an easy read because there is, literally, "too much information" (in the older sense of the phrase).
          Thayer doesn't concentrate as much on the music as on the day to day life of the composer. Hundreds of people come and go and it's very hard to keep track of all Beethoven's acquaintances.
          However, I've sworn to read it all this year and I am ploughing manfully on.
          Been there, done that as well Michael. I too bought my copy back in the 1970s and actually read it ALL back then. It was like reading the Bible from beginning to end. Those were the days when I was really into reading any and all books I could find on Beethoven, which were few and far between back in the day. Good luck in climbing your Everest.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

I will be joining you fellas and reading them myself soon enough! Day to day life sounds interesting.
            Haven't things changed since when we had to rely on bookshops and libraries? Now internet websites, amazon etc..I hardly go to the library anymore sad to say- my local one is closed down anyway.
            What on Earth made B say that about his piano music?!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
            X