Thayer's book: where to get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thayer's book: where to get it.

I wonder. Where can I get Thayer's famous book on the web for free download? All my atempts have been useless!

If you click on each page, the page will turn over.

http://archive.org/stream/lifeofludw...ge/n9/mode/2up

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL66402..._van_Beethoven
    Last edited by Megan; 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I looked in gutenberg.org. What I did not know is openlibrary. Thank you Megan. I wouldn't have done it without your help.

Comment

I bought this book in London in 1971 but, while I have frequently used it for information, I have never read it from cover to cover until this year. I am now about half-way through it and it's not an easy read because there is, literally, "too much information" (in the older sense of the phrase).
        Thayer doesn't concentrate as much on the music as on the day to day life of the composer. Hundreds of people come and go and it's very hard to keep track of all Beethoven's acquaintances.
        However, I've sworn to read it all this year and I am ploughing manfully on.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          I looked in gutenberg.org. What I did not know is openlibrary. Thank you Megan. I wouldn't have done it without your help.
          You're welcome Enrique. Do you have any other books on Beethoven?
          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            You're welcome Enrique. Do you have any other books on Beethoven?
            Are you looking to buy second hand copies of volumes 1 and 2 ?
            Last edited by Megan; 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Are you looking to buy second hand copies of volumes 1 and 2 ?
              I might be. Please give me some figures. I have Schindler's book edited by Donald McArdle, Romain Rolland's voluminous work and two or three more. Among them, an interesting book by a mathematician in love with music.

Comment

I might be. Please give me some figures. I have Schindler's book edited by Donald McArdle, Romain Rolland's voluminous work and two or three more. Among them, an interesting book by a mathematician in love with music.
                Is that last one by JWN Sullivan?
                If so, it's a brilliant work.

Comment

I have some Beethoven books to give away, but realize that I can only send them within the UK , due to the cost of postage.

meanwhile, hear is a good site you may be interested to look at.

http://www.readprint.com/

Free online books library for students, teachers, and the classic enthusiast. Over 8,000 online books by 3,500 authors at your fingertips!

Comment

Yes, it is. I've read it a time ago now. It's more of a psicological essay type of book. But it focuses on the music.

Comment

I have some Beethoven books to give away, but realize that I can only send them within the UK , due to the cost of postage.

meanwhile, hear is a good site you may be interested to look at.

http://www.readprint.com/

Free online books library for students, teachers, and the classic enthusiast. Over 8,000 online books by 3,500 authors at your fingertips!

That's cool, Thanks again, Megan.

Comment

I wonder. Where can I get Thayer's famous book on the web for free download? All my atempts have been useless!
                        I have seen some copies going quite cheap on Ebay.
                        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Would anyone know whether the two-volume, 1,100-page Eliot Forbes edition of Thayer's three-volume work is a condensation of the most complete edition of Thayer? There are several print versions on Amazon, but the descriptions are not very helpful.

I've enjoyed the free online versions (on Nook and Kindle) for several years, but those of us who grew up learning from printed books still crave the paper variety from time to time. :-) There is nothing like writing in margins, though it must drive resale folks wild! Lindegard
                          "Just because you're not famous, doesn't mean you're not great!"

Comment

I got a free one on Amazon Kindle- not read it yet though- got quite a few books on B to read at the moment...
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Have you still got some Megan?
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
                              X