Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven on Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven on Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure!

I recently watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It has been a long time, and I forgot Beethoven was in the movie. I just was curious of what people thought of how he was portrayed in the movie? And of course, of all Beethoven's magnificent works, they chose Fur Elise!

I love that movie! I thought it was funny that Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" was listed as among Beethoven's favorite works I don't know though - in the movie they seem to have forgotten that Beethoven had hearing problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Franz_Liszt:
      I recently watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It has been a long time, and I forgot Beethoven was in the movie. I just was curious of what people thought of how he was portrayed in the movie? And of course, of all Beethoven's magnificent works, they chose Fur Elise!
      Well, I watched a movie a few days ago (can't remember the title) and a guy was listening to the 8th Symphony at home....just before he got his brains bashed out by some psycho with a golf club.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

That was a very good movie. I thought the part with beethoven playing tthe modern keyboards was awesome. I thought it was funny when they showed when he was playing the piano's. He was playing them in a schmits music store.

Party on people.

------------------

Comment

I thought the exact same thing, I thought he had hearing problems also. I guess he was at his younger age. I too, thought it was hilarious. It was funny how he began to laugh at listening to the demo on the keyboard. Seeing Beethoven clean windows was also funny. I still wish they would have him playing "Tempest" or "Appassionata" instead of Fur Elise.....

Comment

I thought the exact same thing, I thought he had hearing problems also. I guess he was at his younger age.
            It looked like he was at least 50...

I liked how he put the moves on Bill's mom

Comment

I am certain that the Bill and Ted movie is a total fabrication from beginning to end. There is no mention in any of the reliable Beethoven biographies about his travelling to the 20th century in a time machine. Still, his music was two hundred years ahead of its time, so I'll keep searching for a reference.
              Incidentally, a bit of Ludwig is featured in the movie "Traffic". It's the first movement of the first piano sonata, Opus 2 No. 1. However, nobody gives it any proper attention as it is merely switched on by one of the characters to drown a listening device.

Michael

Comment

hey Michael!

The movie was suppose to be fun. It was in no way making fun of beethoven or poking at him. Who cares if there is a biography on him during the movie. Chris I have to agree with you on that comment you said about Bill.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                  I am certain that the Bill and Ted movie is a total fabrication from beginning to end. There is no mention in any of the reliable Beethoven biographies about his travelling to the 20th century in a time machine. .....
                  Michael
                  Well, Michael, if the biographies were published before the movie was released, it makes sense that there would be no mention of the time-travel, don't you think?

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    Well, I watched a movie a few days ago (can't remember the title) and a guy was listening to the 8th Symphony at home....just before he got his brains bashed out by some psycho with a golf club.

That movie would be Kalifornia, starring David Duchovny.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                      That movie would be Kalifornia, starring David Duchovny.
                      Yep, that's it.

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I thought the exact same thing, I thought he had hearing problems also. I guess he was at his younger age. I too, thought it was hilarious. It was funny how he began to laugh at listening to the demo on the keyboard. Seeing Beethoven clean windows was also funny. I still wish they would have him playing "Tempest" or "Appassionata" instead of Fur Elise.....

I think that the reason that Fur Elise was played is probably because it is without a doubt one if not THEY most famous work by Beethoven to all non classical luvers. The next I would have to say (although not always recognised as a Beethoven work) would be the first movement (opening) of his fifth symphony.
                        And although I havent seen the movie for years, I remember enjoying. My sister loved that movie, and I cannot uinderstand why she does not like "Beavis and Buthead" they are both very similar!

oboe_15

------------------
                        Beethoven and all composers Rock!
                        Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Nah, "Beavis and Butt-head" is a lot more crude.

Comment

Try some South Park, hehehe. Beethoven is definately a top favorite of mine also. I do enjoy many others composers. Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Chopin, Bach, Brahms, Schubert, Prokofiev, Scriabin, the list is virtually endless.....

I am working on Liszt's Eroica Transcendental Etude, what are some of your personal favorite Liszt Etudes?

Comment

I am working on Liszt's Eroica Transcendental Etude, what are some of your personal favorite Liszt Etudes?
                              Well I've done Waldesrauschen, Gnomenreigen and La Campanella (though I believe this last exists in other versions that make the version I did seem like child's play!) You are doing the Transcendental studies my goodness! Have you tried any of Liszt's song transcriptions? He transcribed Beethoven's Adelaide. How about any of Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies?

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X