This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also:

Stravinsky: L'histoire du soldat (a favorite of mine)

One more by Stravinsky: Renard the Fox
    Last edited by Sorrano; 07-15-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Also:

Stravinsky: L'histoire du soldat (a favorite of mine)
      The suite or the complete work, including the spoken text (and in the original French then, or an English or a German translation?)?
      I love it both ways.
      Once, at the end of life performance I attended, the percussionist lost his stick at the very end of the piece. Was quite hilarious. As it was recorded for a broadcast later that week, they took another take. I still have got that off air recording, with that second take

Comment

This was just the suite. The disc comes from a set of works by Stravinsky, published by Sony. Incidentally, Stravinsky is conducting the Suite.

This morning:

Liszt: Les Preludes

Comment

Today:

Hyacinthe Jadin [1776-1800]
          String trio No. 3 in F opus 2/1 (1797) (R3: TtN)
          Very interesting piece: Did she know Beethoven’s opus 9 set?
          Even more astonishing: it was composed before Beethoven’s quartet in c opus 18/4, but has got a similar outlay: four mvts, a standard sonata-form opening, 2nd mvt scherzo, 3rd mvt a slowish menuetto, 4 mvt a finale playing with tempo changes and harmonic twists on par with Haydn and Beethoven, at one place IMO even outwitting both of them.
          I do think her early death robbed the world of a potentially great composer.

Sweelinck
          (another birthday guy this year)::
          Psalms 109, 77 and 134
          Diligam te Domine
          Tanto Tempore Vobiscum sum
          Che giove posseder citadi e regni
          Yeux qui guidez mon ame
          Dolcissimo ben mio
          O Domine Jesu christe
          Timor Domini
          Mein junges Leben hat ein End
          Qual vive Salamandra

Comment

Tristan und Isolde, act I.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Today:

Hyacinthe Jadin [1776-1800]
              String trio No. 3 in F opus 2/1 (1797) (R3: TtN)
              Very interesting piece: Did she know Beethoven’s opus 9 set?
              Even more astonishing: it was composed before Beethoven’s quartet in c opus 18/4, but has got a similar outlay: four mvts, a standard sonata-form opening, 2nd mvt scherzo, 3rd mvt a slowish menuetto, 4 mvt a finale playing with tempo changes and harmonic twists on par with Haydn and Beethoven, at one place IMO even outwitting both of them.
              I do think her early death robbed the world of a potentially great composer.

Sweelinck
              (another birthday guy this year)::
              Psalms 109, 77 and 134
              Diligam te Domine
              Tanto Tempore Vobiscum sum
              Che giove posseder citadi e regni
              Yeux qui guidez mon ame
              Dolcissimo ben mio
              O Domine Jesu christe
              Timor Domini
              Mein junges Leben hat ein End
              Qual vive Salamandra
              Interesting choices as usual Roehre! I've never heard of Hyacinthe Jadin so thanks for that.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to the DG complete Chopin and I'm on to some of his finest works - the Mazurkas. Interesting comparing Ashkenazy to my Rubinstein set.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 6

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Listening to the DG complete Chopin and I'm on to some of his finest works - the Mazurkas. Interesting comparing Ashkenazy to my Rubinstein set.
                    I find the Mazurkas to be some of the more compelling works of his, as well.

Comment

Today:

Adams:
                      City Noir (2009) (R3 Prom 4 – iPlayer)

Schnittke:
                      Fugue for violin (1953) (R3:TtN)

R Strauss:
                      Also sprach Zarathustra op.30 (R3: Prom 5)
                      Four Last Songs

Sibelius's Lost Eighth Revealed?
                      Featuring performances by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by John Storgards,

Saariaho:
                      Laterna magica (2009) (R3: Prom 5)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

Sibelius's Lost Eighth Revealed?
                        Featuring performances by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by John Storgards,

So what is this about the lost eighth? Is this a complete work or is it a realization of sketches? It sounds interesting.

Comment

So what is this about the lost eighth? Is this a complete work or is it a realization of sketches? It sounds interesting.
                          Can't be that, he burnt the score and I imagine any sketches to do with it.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            Can't be that, he burnt the score and I imagine any sketches to do with it.
                            Precisely why I am asking.

This morning:

Gerswhin: Rhapsody in Blue

Grofe: Mississippi Suite

Comment

Like Beethoven Sibelius left a big pile of sketches and unpublished works, among these many chamber pieces, and alternative versions or fragments of alternative versions for many works, inclusive 5 of the 7 symphonies [of no.5 even the 1st of the 3 versions completely, from the 2nd only two or 3 pages of full score -the rest being destroyed (seems to be a bad habit)] and the first version of the violin concerto.

All the performable scores have now been made public (and recorded exclusively by BIS), but there are still some 800-1000 pages of sketches, loose score pages etc which need to be intensively scrutinised.

With similar dating methods as with the research of Beethoven's sketches (paper, handwriting, mentioning in letters etc) three fragments of an orchestral work have emerged which fit the bill of potentially belonging to the 8th symphony.

That such a work (or better: two works) once at least partially existed, is beyound doubt. We know when Sibelius worked on it/them. These pages belong to the one period of which we know for certain Sibelius was composing the 8th. No other orchestral work is known from this period (nothing else mentioned in letters or correspondence). The paper used is identical with that of a couple of arrangements Sibelius made of older works in the 1930s. The bills for copying the score (of at least the 1st mvt of an 8th) date from these days too.

Thus: 3 fragments, altogether some 2'30" have now been performed.
                              They might be, or might not be, score sketches for the 8th.
                              Whatever, an interesting couple of seconds of music, showing Sibelius was still developing his harmonic language at that time (as is defined by his pieces op.114 too, btw).
                              A completion, reconstruction or something similar is impossible.
                              This is -at least until score parts of the 1st mvt reappear- all we got.
                              Last edited by Roehre; 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

That is very interesting, thanks, Roehre! Are any of these fragments available to the general public as recordings?

Comment

Working...
                                X