X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    copy catting, sorrano :-) ?
    What can I say? You have good taste and I have a lot of curiosity.

Originally posted by Roehre
    Do you know Vivaldi's Concerto per multi stromenti per il Orchestra di Dresda in g RV577 (or P.383)?
    Composed with the same orchestra in mind - and showing that Heinichen was able to create his own style, different from what Vivaldi, JSBach, Handel or Telemann had to offer, to name but the Germanic composers here.
    I am probably not too familiar with the Vivaldi; that time period is not one of my musical strengths. However, I am getting a better feel for the different styles of the above named composers.

Comment

Today:

Tchaikovsky
      :
      Symphony no.6 in b op.74 “Pathétique”

LigetiPoème symphonique (1962)

Berio
      Sequenza V (1966)

Xenakis
      Phlegra (1975)

Harvey:
      Mortuos plango, vivos voco (1980)

Cage:
      1O1 (1988)
      Improvisation III (1980)
      Experiences II (1948)
      ear for EAR (Antiphonies) (1983)
      Four2 (1990)

Comment

Roehre, does the Manfred Symphony fit between Nos. 5 and 6, chronologically? (I look forward to your listening lists everyday, sorry!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Roehre, does the Manfred Symphony fit between Nos. 5 and 6, chronologically? (I look forward to your listening lists everyday, sorry!)
          No. The Tsjaikovsky opus numbers (i.e. up to and including 75/79, but without the posthumous 76-78 and 80-81) are chronologically straightforwardly in the correct order.

Symphony 4 is opus 36 (1877); Manfred is opus 58, dating from 1885, 5 is 64, and dating from 1888.
          Hence Manfred was composed between 4 and 5.

I intended to listen to the cycle chronologically, but for associative reasons I swapped Manfred for 5: August 17th is my late grandmother's birthday, and I associate 5 with the place in the forests where my grand parents lived.

Comment

I intended to listen to the cycle chronologically, but for associative reasons I swapped Manfred for 5: August 17th is my late grandmother's birthday, and I associate 5 with the place in the forests where my grand parents lived.
            That is a wonderful association; thanks for sharing that! The 5th was one of the first of Tchaikovsky's symphonies that I got to know and among the first in my introduction to Classical Music. Hence it is a favorite of mine.

Comment

No. The Tsjaikovsky opus numbers (i.e. up to and including 75/79, but without the posthumous 76-78 and 80-81) are chronologically straightforwardly in the correct order.
              Interesting spelling there. That was intentional, I assume?

Comment

Interesting spelling there. That was intentional, I assume?
                No, not intentional. The standard Dutch one.

Comment

This morning:

Mozart: Six Variations in F on Paisiello's Gli Astrologi

Hummel: Introduction, Theme and Variations in F

Comment

Hummel: Introduction, Theme and Variations in F

This is the work for oboe and orchestra opus 102?
                    Was my very first encounter with Hummel in 1971 and one of the very first pieces of classical music I got on a pre-recorded cassette tape anyway.

Comment

Today:

Tchaikovsky:
                      Symphony no.7 in E-flat (1892/’93)
                      [the original version of the Piano concerto no.3 op75/79; edition Bogatyriev ca.1954]

Bainbridge:
                      The Garden of Earthly Delights (2011/’12) (BBC Proms: iPlayer)

Comment

This morning:

Bethune:
                        The Battle of Manassas
                        Oliver Galop

Copland:
                        Violin Sonata

Comment

Working...
                        X