X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Diabelli Variations CD

Thought this might be of interest:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...-staier-review
    I heard a short extract today on the radio, and immediately purchased it from Amazon (via the abruckner.com site, as they get a small commission this way).
    My best regards to everyone.

It is interesting Philip - I'm also glad it's played on a copy rather than an original instrument as I actually think that gives a better impression of the fortepiano than a reconditioning.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I saw the actual score in the Beethovenhaus in Bonn in 2010. In a small auditorium in another part of the building, a recording of a piece of piano music was playing and I couldn't identify it - a very rare experience with me when it comes to Beethoven.

I asked the guide what it was - and between her fractured English and my non-existent German - I was informed that it was the Diabelli variations. I wasn't able to pursue the matter but I know it wasn't Beethoven's work. It occurred to me that it may have been one of the other versions of Diabelli's theme as referred to above, and I tried to get a hint of the main theme but I had my patient family waiting on me.

I paid a second visit to the Beethovenhaus the next day, but the music was turned off. The fact that the one piece of music I heard in the house was not by the composer has me slightly disappointed.

Comment

Working...
      X