The menuetto and trio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The menuetto and trio.

I was listening to one of Mozart symphonies and it occurred to me that I did not know why the trio section of a minuet is call trio. So I look up wikipedia, and I find the reason why it is call so is a purely historical one. In Lully's time usually two minuets were played one after the other followed by a repetition of the first. By that time, it became a common practice to score the second section for a trio (three instruments). And if you listen to a symphony by Mozart, you'll notice the orchestration is lighter in the trio than in the rest of the minuet. I'll bet many of you didn't know this.

Yes it's always interesting to learn the origins of these forms and to see how they develop - even when the minuet morphed into the scherzo, the trio was still retained. Also interesting in Beethoven's symphonies 4 and 7 how he repeats the trio twice creating ABABA.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
      I was listening to one of Mozart symphonies and it occurred to me that I did not know why the trio section of a minuet is call trio. So I look up wikipedia, and I find the reason why it is call so is a purely historical one. In Lully's time usually two minuets were played one after the other followed by a repetition of the first. By that time, it became a common practice to score the second section for a trio (three instruments). And if you listen to a symphony by Mozart, you'll notice the orchestration is lighter in the trio than in the rest of the minuet. I'll bet many of you didn't know this.
      I also love to listen the symphonies by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Yeah, It's really good to know something new about trio. Even I was also not aware about this before.

Comment

The trio of Beethoven's Eroica symphony really lives up to its name because it's played by three horns.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Jackiebutler!

Comment

A clever remark! Impossible to read your post without hearing the horns resonating in one's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Yes it's always interesting to learn the origins of these forms and to see how they develop - even when the minuet morphed into the scherzo, the trio was still retained. Also interesting in Beethoven's symphonies 4 and 7 how he repeats the trio twice creating ABABA.
            Which is only one step away from the simpliest Rondo form ABCBA

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Which is only one step away from the simpliest Rondo form ABCBA
              And the above is only one letter away from a famous Swedish pop group!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                And the above is only one letter away from a famous Swedish pop group!
                you mean a bah?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  you mean a bah?
                  Yep - the gang that won the Eurovision with Wellington's other victory.

Comment

Working...
                  X