Question about B's Death Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about B's Death Mask

Regarding the Death Mask of Beethoven: Wasn't it made AFTER a postmordem wherein B's ear organs were removed? Doesn't that account for his noticeably emaciated features? I read this somewhere and wanted to confirm if this was true.

I do know that the Master was terribly sick prior to death, but I've never read an account that described his features to be as bad as they are in the Death Mask.

thanks!

There is a letter from Carl Danhauser, brother of Joseph which suggests that both the drawing and the mask were done before the autopsy. However other people of the time have stated quite clearly that the mask was done after the autopsy when the temporal bones were sawed away to facilitate the removal of the ear organs.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:
      Regarding the Death Mask of Beethoven: Wasn't it made AFTER a postmordem wherein B's ear organs were removed? Doesn't that account for his noticeably emaciated features? I read this somewhere and wanted to confirm if this was true.

I do know that the Master was terribly sick prior to death, but I've never read an account that described his features to be as bad as they are in the Death Mask.

thanks!
      i do have a nice copy of the dmask if you wish to buy it.

Comment

Working...
      X