Beethoven's 10th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    I haven't heard about a requiem, but given how well he wrote Missa Solemnis, I can imagine a requiem by him would have been quite something.
    Towards the end of his life he intended to write mainly sacred music - 3 more movements were planned for the Missa Solemnis, another Mass, a Requiem, an Oratorio based on Saul. An overture based on B-A-C-H was also planned, but the last music he was actually working on when he died was a string quintet.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Beautiful piece - it's a memorial really for Baron Johann Baptist von Pasqualati, whose wife Eleonore had died three years earlier at the early age of 24.

How touching. Wasn't this the Baron in whose house Beethoven made a hole in the wall?
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Towards the end of his life he intended to write mainly sacred music - 3 more movements were planned for the Missa Solemnis, another Mass, a Requiem, an Oratorio based on Saul. An overture based on B-A-C-H was also planned, but the last music he was actually working on when he died was a string quintet.
        Did he say that was his intention? Not finished reading all his letters yet.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Here's a you tube video with the lyrics in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LyNefn0fM
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

How touching. Wasn't this the Baron in whose house Beethoven made a hole in the wall?
            The Pasqualati house was owned in equal shares by four of the children of Johann Benedikt Pasqualati - by the time Beethoven moved back in 1810, Johann Baptist Pasqualati had sold his share and Beethoven's landlords were Peter Von Leber and his wife Josepha (the sister of Johann Baptist).
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Did he say that was his intention? Not finished reading all his letters yet.
              I can't recall if it's in the letters, I think it is in the Tagebuch.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X