• Show
Clear All

Beethoven's 10th!

Just remember today's date:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptiveca...phony-for-real

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Yesterday's date, you mean

Comment

I recall, some years ago, an article of the same date (different year) that related the discovery of another early Bruckner Symphony. Since 0 was already used for the student work they numbered it -1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        I recall, some years ago, an article of the same date (different year) that related the discovery of another early Bruckner Symphony. Since 0 was already used for the student work they numbered it -1.
        In that case perhaps Beethoven's 10th, as realized by Barry Cooper, should have been called Beethoven's Symphony No. i.

Comment

IIRC in 1974 even a Brandenburg Concerto no.7 was broadcast.
          Very well composed pastiche I must say. Unfortunately I lost the cassette tape....

Comment

Pretty interesting article and Beethoven looks remarkably good for someone his age!
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              Pretty interesting article and Beethoven looks remarkably good for someone his age!
              Yes, a good demonstration of what plastic surgery can do

Comment

I recently heard someone refer to Beethoven's Wellington's Victory as the Battle Symphony. So could it be considered a 10th (though not following the Ninth necessarily) symphony?
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I don't think so Harvey. I know you value it highly, but it isn't on a par with the other nine and certainly not a worthy successor to the 9th or any of them really I'm afraid! No, Beethoven would have given us something far greater had he lived, but we have no right to complain; what he gave us is more than we deserve especially when you consider how the majority of people have no interest in his music. Don't forget had he actually completed a 10th, we would have wanted an 11th - human beings are never satisfied!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

You are absolutely right. I guess Battle Symphony is simply an endearing term that was given to this wonderful little piece. As much as we may desire more symphonies from Beethoven, it is a tremendous and wonderful set of nine. I must say the nine are some of the most wonderful music I know.
                    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                      You are absolutely right. I guess Battle Symphony is simply an endearing term that was given to this wonderful little piece. As much as we may desire more symphonies from Beethoven, it is a tremendous and wonderful set of nine. I must say the nine are some of the most wonderful music I know.
                      Can you imagine if he had written a 10th?! It would have been astounding. Though I read he had some sketches for one, but was too ill to continue with it, poor Ludwig.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Yes, a 10th would be wonderful. Would love to see what he would do after the Ninth. And wasn't he also planning to write a requiem?

Comment

Yes, a 10th would be wonderful. Would love to see what he would do after the Ninth. And wasn't he also planning to write a requiem?
                          I haven't heard about a requiem, but given how well he wrote Missa Solemnis, I can imagine a requiem by him would have been quite something.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

What about Beethoven's Elegiac Song? Is that a sort of requiem of the non-mass type, such as Brahms did? Of course it is not a real requiem, too short.

Comment

What about Beethoven's Elegiac Song? Is that a sort of requiem of the non-mass type, such as Brahms did? Of course it is not a real requiem, too short.
                              Beautiful piece - it's a memorial really for Baron Johann Baptist von Pasqualati, whose wife Eleonore had died three years earlier at the early age of 24.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X