This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eva View Post
    Right now it's Kempff's rendition of Op 10 no 3 - the piano sonata in D. Doesn't get played enough to be honest, it's a wonderful piece .

Haven't decided which cycle of the sonatas to buy yet, so I'm listening to as many different versions on youtube at the moment. So hard to pick a favourite for the entire set, as different pianists excell at different pieces. What to do
    Was this an earlier recording or later of Kempff's? I have the later Kempff cycle but am not too pleased with it. This particular Sonata, which is a favorite of mine, was not up to snuff for me. So far my preference for a cycle is with Brendel.

Comment

This morning:

Borodin's 2nd String Quartet
      Berlioz's Roman Carnival Overture

Comment

Right now it's Kempff's rendition of Op 10 no 3 - the piano sonata in D. Doesn't get played enough to be honest, it's a wonderful piece .

Haven't decided which cycle of the sonatas to buy yet, so I'm listening to as many different versions on youtube at the moment. So hard to pick a favourite for the entire set, as different pianists excell at different pieces. What to do
        Well here are plenty of suggestions to add to the confusion!

Richard Goode
        Brendel
        Wilhelm Kempff
        Claudio Arrau
        Wilhelm Backhaus
        Claude Frank

Jean-Bernard Pommier
        Vol. 1, Sonatas 1-10: 3 CDs, Erato 2292-45598-2 (1991) Vol. 2, Sonatas 11-20: 3 CDs, Erato 2292-45812-2 (1992) Vol. 3, Sonatas 21-27: 3 CDs, Erato 4509-91727-2 (1994)

Ivan Moravec
        Vol. 1: Piano Concerto No. 4, with Martin Turnovsky conducting The Orchestra of the Vienna Musikverein;Sonata 27; 32 Variations in C Minor, WoO 80 VAI Audio VAIA 1021 (1963, 1966, 1992)Vol. 2: Sonatas 8, 14, 23, 26 VAI Audio VAIA 1069 (1962-1970, 1994)

Murray Perahia
        Sonatas 1-3
        Sony Classical SK 64397 (1995)

Charles Rosen
        Sonatas 27-32
        2 CDs, Sony Essential Classics SB2K 53531 (1971, 1994)

Period instruments:

Alexei Lubimov
        Pianoforte: John Broadwood & Son, 1806
        Sonatas 8, 14, 21
        Erato 4509-94356-2 (1994)

Paul Komen
        Pianoforte: Salvatore la Grassa, Viennese school c. 1815
        Sonatas 16-18
        Globe GLO 5136 (1995)

Paul Komen
        Pianoforte: Johann Fritz, Vienna 1825
        Sonatas 21-23, Globe GLO 5118 (1994)

Paul Komen
        Pianoforte: Conrad Graf, Vienna c. 1830
        Sonatas 30-32 Globe GLO 5106 (1993)

Historical performances

COMPLETE - Schnabel (1935 - mono) (PEARL)
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Was this an earlier recording or later of Kempff's? I have the later Kempff cycle but am not too pleased with it. This particular Sonata, which is a favorite of mine, was not up to snuff for me. So far my preference for a cycle is with Brendel.
          I'm afraid I don't know - I checked the video and the uploader didn't give the date of recording. It was this one though

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Well here are plenty of suggestions to add to the confusion!
          Wow, that's great thank you! I'll try to listen to as many as possible! I'm a bit obsessed with the sonatas at the moment . Normally I love period recordings (especially for baroque) but I must admit I'm not a fan of the fortepiano.

Anyway, this morning I'm listening to Paul Lewis' version of the 4th piano concerto for the BBC Proms. I think he opens it exceptionally well.

Comment

Last night began to listen to Lohengrin.

This morning: Liszt's Piano Sonata in B Minor

Comment

Normally I love period recordings (especially for baroque) but I must admit I'm not a fan of the fortepiano.
              I feel the same way. Actually, I like modern instruments better overall for Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I feel the same way. Actually, I like modern instruments better overall for Beethoven.
                Somehow I think Beethoven would have felt the same. His music seems to have been written with an idealised piano in mind, not the instruments of his day...

I'm listening to Andras Schiff's version of the Pathétique at the moment. After hearing his lecture on this sonata I wanted to see what the first movement was like with the repeat from the start. I really like it

Comment

Somehow I think Beethoven would have felt the same. His music seems to have been written with an idealised piano in mind, not the instruments of his day...
                  I'm not sure. Beethoven was practical in this regard, I think. I think he would have very much appreciated the modern grand piano, with its wonderful tone and longer sustain and greater volume and power, and been happy to write for it, but the fortepiano did have the quality of having different timbres in the different ranges of the instrument, whereas the modern piano has a more uniform sound. It could be that he was thinking of this when composing for the piano, and would consider something lost without it.

Personally, I consider the advantages of the modern piano to outweigh that loss, especially for slow movements. (But then again, perhaps the greater sustain tempts us to take those slow movements too slowly...) But I can't say what Beethoven would have thought.

It's also true that people back then were not nearly as concerned with authentic performance as we are today. Mozart, for example, rearranged some of Handel's works to have a more modern orchestration, a practice a lot of us would scoff at today. So that might be another argument for Beethoven preferring the modern piano.

In the end, I suppose I don't care much about Beethoven would have preferred. I know what I prefer, and that's the way I'll listen

Comment

This morning:

Liszt/Busoni: Fantasy on Two Motives from Mozart's Marriage of Figarro
                    Pierne: Konzertstuck in G-Sharp

Comment

Today:

Strauss:
                      Der Rosenkavalier op.59: highlights
                      BBCMM latest CD which I found in my mailbox returning from abroad this morning.
                      Enjoyable CD, my only “less positive” remark being that it’s a pity that the voices of the two sopranos are so very alike, hardly to distinguish. But IMO beautifully sung.

Comment

Welcome back, Roehre! Hope you had a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Welcome back, Roehre! Hope you had a great trip!
                          Thanks Sorrano.
                          Was an excellent trip: my father's 90th birthday, and I wish that -should I reach that age- I would be in his present physical and mental shape.

Comment

This morning: Katchachurian's Suite from Spartacus

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
                              Fierrabras op.76 D.796 (1823)

Comment

IGNACY FELIKS DOBRZIYNSKY: Piano Concerto in A flat major Op. 2
                                Howard Shelley (piano and conductor), Sinfonia Varsovia

This is a lovely piece and I thought very much in the musical style of Beethoven.
                                As I was listening to this piece while I was in the kitchen and didn't get the intro to it, I thought it was perhaps by Beethoven, but discovered it was a piece by Dobrziynsky, a pianist I must admit haven't discovered till now.
                                What a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Megan; 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X