Today:

Alan Bush:
    Symphony no.2 op.33 “Nottingham” (1949)

Bax:
    Tintagel (1917)
    Overture to “Adventure” (1936)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Which version of the symphony are you listening to, Preston? There are two adagios composed for this work.
      the 1889 version. i do have the tintner, which is 87 you recommended - just not on me, though will check momentarily if the adagios in '87 and 89' version are different.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

6 minutes in and i like it far more - i can't tell the extent of the changes but they seem substantial - based on remembering what i felt in the 89? much more depth in the 87, not near as bubbly and happy, it seems, as the 89?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Which has been completed (the 1st mvt only that is) and recorded as well.

With the D-major piano concerto it is more likely that B didn't want to continue as (in 1815) he very painfully and depressingly realized that he himself wouldn't be able to play it (in public). Not dissatisfaction with the work itself, but a kind of composer's block which stopped the project.
          I can't agree with that - he knew he wouldn't be able to perform it from the start as he hadn't performed the Emperor (written 6 years earlier) either.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I can't agree with that - he knew he wouldn't be able to perform it from the start as he hadn't performed the Emperor (written 6 years earlier) either.
            He stopped the concerto-project around the time of his last (desastrous) public performance as pianist (the performance of the Archduke trio in which he touched the keys in the soft passages without realizing no sound was produced).

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
              6 minutes in and i like it far more - i can't tell the extent of the changes but they seem substantial - based on remembering what i felt in the 89? much more depth in the 87, not near as bubbly and happy, it seems, as the 89?
              I find the first version preferable for all the movements. It's longer, but as a whole, the music makes much mores sense to me formally and emotionally. Prior to having heard the first version I was quite keen on Jochum's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                I find the first version preferable for all the movements. It's longer, but as a whole, the music makes much mores sense to me formally and emotionally. Prior to having heard the first version I was quite keen on Jochum's performance.
                Regarding what you say about "formally and emotionally" - I agree. I do not understand the 89 as much as the 87 - or at at least I cannot connect to it, it does not seem to make sense, at least to me. Though, I am no Bruckner! So far, I do agree with you, Sorrano.

Comment

He stopped the concerto-project around the time of his last (desastrous) public performance as pianist (the performance of the Archduke trio in which he touched the keys in the soft passages without realizing no sound was produced).
                  That concert took place on April 11th 1814 - a year before he even started sketching the concerto. In any case I think the argument for his deafness being the reason for abandoning the concerto falls flat as he never performed the 5th concerto either. Beethoven abandoned many sketched works and it is quite possible the sketches for the 10th could have met the same fate so Cooper's realisation is highly conjectural and is no more than a very interesting academic realisation of a Beethoven sketch.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven abandoned many sketched works ...
                    You only have to look at the Hess catalogue (for the performable ones) or the Biamonti (for every snippet of Beethoven's) to get an impression how many there actually are

... and it is quite possible the sketches for the 10th could have met the same fate so Cooper's realisation is highly conjectural and is no more than a very interesting academic realisation of a Beethoven sketch.
                    With which statement I fully agree.

Comment

Today:

Arnold:
                      Symphony no.5 op.74 (1961)

Ian Wilson:
                      The stars, the Seas (2011)

Hugh Wood:
                      Violin Concerto No 2 (2002/’08) (still on iPlayer)

Bax:
                      Symphony no.6 in C (1934)

Feldmann:
                      DANN UND NUR DANN, WENN (for guitar and electronics; 1997)

Domhardt:
                      String quartet no.1 (1974)

Comment

You only have to look at the Hess catalogue (for the performable ones) or the Biamonti (for every snippet of Beethoven's) to get an impression how many there actually are

With which statement I fully agree.
                        And so say all of us...

Comment

And yet he insisted on 'conducting' the premiere of the 9th symphony, stone deaf?..

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                            PDG - you know of Panic's music?
                            Sorry, no, never heard of them...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                              And yet he insisted on 'conducting' the premiere of the 9th symphony, stone deaf?..
                              He knew nobody pays attention to the conductor anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                He knew nobody pays attention to the conductor anyway
                                Actually (your joke aside!) it shows just the opposite, else they could simply have ignored the nutter waving his arms around frantically, jumping up and down and not bothered with employing Umlauf.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X