Via Crucis S.53 (1879)

Ostrcil:
      Calvary-Variations op.24 (1928)

Ibert:
      Golgotha (suite 1935)

Gubaidulina:
      Seven Last Words (1982)

Kuula:
      Stabat Mater (1918) (compl.Madetoja 1919)

Rubbra:
      Tenebrae motets op.72

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        What can you say about that "Symphony No. 10", eh?
        I have never heard it. Which, now that I think of it is odd considering that I've listened to a lot of Beethoven's music and one of the first things are the symphonies.

I understand it is much lesser known and performed, but still that is stupidity on my part - naturally.

I will have to check for it on YT.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            I have never heard it. Which, now that I think of it is odd considering that I've listened to a lot of Beethoven's music and one of the first things are the symphonies.

I understand it is much lesser known and performed, but still that is stupidity on my part - naturally.

It's incomplete, Preston. There have been some realizations of it as an entire movement, but beyond that the 10th is mostly sketches.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

Yes, you can find it on YouTube. It consists of an Andante followed by an Allegro followed by a repeat of the Andante. The Allegro is really the best part, but knowing your fondness for slower music, you may find more to your liking in the Andante section. Still, don't expect too much.

Comment

3 minutes in and some thoughts. the opening chords made me think it was about to be a darker and heavier work - though then came the high trill on the violins (maybe violas too?), with the rest of the strings playing sustained until the brass picked up the theme, then the woodwinds...

i like the allegro, too.

the 1st and 3rd mov. pulse more like the 3rd mov. of his 9th.

thank you Sorrano and Chris. I wonder if the andante or the allegro use more of the sketches, anybody know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G908m...eature=related

Comment

Today:

Kasparov:
                  Stabat Mater (1991)

Szymanowski:
                  Stabat Mater op.53 (1926)

Anonymus:
                  Mass of Easter Day in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem c.1130

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    No, sorry Preston. I'm afraid I don't know any of the above music. I tuned out about 1970 when the Beatles broke up (and Beethoven, Mozart, etc. broke in ).
                    In the last few years, I am re-visiting the music of the 50s and 60s. Ah, my misspent youth.......
                    All bar one of the bands listed by Preston, began recording in the '60s! The first Pink Floyd album is a masterpiece. Jethro Tull (my old mate, Ian Anderson) succeed on just about every 'pop' level, and are unsurpassed in their use of syncopation.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Today:

Kasparov:
                      Stabat Mater (1991)
                      I am unfamiliar with this chess move..

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Beethoven:
                        Symphony No. 10 (as realized by Barry Cooper)
                        City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
                        Walter Weller

What can you say about that "Symphony No. 10", eh? I'm glad it exists for that middle allegro, but some of it sure sounds more Cooper than Beethoven to me.
                        Well, we can say that it is rubbish. The middle allegro? Is that the Pathetique sonata adagio, re-hashed by Cooper?

Comment

I do not think it is rubbish, musically speaking, when compared with other classical music I have heard - even Beehthoven.

Maybe in the sense of it being Beethoven, because it is not wholly Beethoven. Though, music should not be looked at based on who it was written by, it should be looked at based how we like it and how it affects our lives, imo.

It should be called, imo, "Barry Cooper's Expanding of Beethoven Sketches for a 10th Symphony", or something of the sort.
                          Last edited by Preston; 04-08-2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Listening to Bruckner's 3rd symphony. The opening notes, of the 2nd mov. are reminiscent of both Beethoven and Bach. They are very moving. Though, it goes to wholly to the major after about 1 minute and I do not like that, feels strange and uncomfortable. I don't like the major without some minor - it sounds insane, too happy, too good, etc. - does anyone else feel this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              No, sorry Preston. I'm afraid I don't know any of the above music. I tuned out about 1970 when the Beatles broke up (and Beethoven, Mozart, etc. broke in ).
                              In the last few years, I am re-visiting the music of the 50s and 60s. Ah, my misspent youth.......
                              So, you missed out on the major movement of the 60's and 70's. That seems to be a shame? A time in America, etc. when people started thinking much more open-minded than the all-too-conservative, "American Dream" - rubbish that.

Comment

PDG - you know of Panic's music?

Comment

Working...
                                X