This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    To quote from the book description: "A superb crossover title of enormous appeal to the vast selection of the population that enjoys classical music, but would like to know more about it. From Gregorian Chant to Henryk Gorecki, the first living classical composer to get into the pop album charts, here is the fascinating story of over a thousand years of Western classical music and the composers who have sought to express in music the deepest of human feelings and emotions. Polyphony, sonata form, serial music - many musical expressions are also explained - with the text illustrated by performances from some of the most highly praised recordings of recent years (all but a few taken from the Naxos and Marco Polo catalogues)."

I think that you could get something out of this; my guess is that it isn't too advanced and will help you understand better some of the forms and techniques that are used.
    Thanks a lot Sorrano!
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's a set of four very full CDs and it's aimed at the ordinary listener who wants to learn about the history of music without having to wade through textbooks. It's ideal for me because I can't read music and it gives numerous extracts from music of all periods.
    Thanks Michael.
    Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    You can get a better deal at Amazon if you select from the zShops:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

These prices do fluctuate, though, as people purchase the items.
    Thanks again Sorrano, .

Hopefully, I will get them at some point. I just bought a cd last night (please see next post) so will have to wait and see what the next pay-check brings. Anyway, thanks for the help Sorrano and Michael.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Listening to Mozart's Piano Sonata 17, 14, & 9, Adagio in B-min, and Fantasia in C-min. I bought this cd last night because of Mozart's piano sonata 14 - which caught my attention nicely. They are played by Ashkenazy.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Listening to Mozart's Piano Sonata 17, 14, & 9, Adagio in B-min, and Fantasia in C-min. I bought this cd last night because of Mozart's piano sonata 14 - which caught my attention nicely. They are played by Ashkenazy.
        I find the Mozart sonatas absolutely delightful. I've played through many of them but really need to listen to them. Enjoy!

Comment

Today:

Pärt (iPlayer):
          Silhouette (Hommage a Gustave Eiffel) (2009)
          Berliner Messe (1990)

Dittrich:
          Cello concerto (1974/’75)

Comment

This morning:

Saint-Saens: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

Mendelssohn: Rondo Brilliant

Ole Bull: Cantabile doloroso e Rondo giocoso
            Last edited by Sorrano; 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

The 8th Symphony with Leonard Bernstein and the NYPD - sorry, NYPO. Either way it was an arresting experience.

Comment

Today:

Pärt (iPlayer):
                Trivium (1992?)
                7 Advent (Magnificat) antiphons (1988)
                The Beatitudes
                Summa (1977)
                Missa sillabica (1996)
                Which was the son of... (2000)

Sweelinck:
                Mein junges leben hat ein End SwWV324 (choral version)
                Qual vive Salamandra SwWV240 (1612)

Venetian Vespers of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin
                as it might have been celebrated in St.Mark’s in 1643

Comment

Working...
                X