Today:

Beethoven:
    Leonore Prohaska: Trauermarsch woO 96

Schubert:
    Claudine von Villa Bella D.239
    Fugen- Entwürfe für Klavier D.37a
    2 Menuette mit je 2 Trios für Klavier D.91
    Fuge in e für Klavier D.41A
    Trio eines Menuetts (Minuet and Trio) D.2F (completion Newbould)
    Fuge in e für Klavier D.71B
    Fragment in D minor for string quartet, D.2c
    Overture for String Quartet, D.8a

From the previous thread:

Originally posted by Roehre
    Ages ago already, late 1960s early 1970s.

It was on a Turnabout LP coupled with the Concerto WoO 4 (Martin Galling, Berlin symphony Orchestra, C.A.Bünte), recorded in 1971. This recording resurfaced as at leat one Turnabout CD called "Young Beethoven" in 1991 or '92.

Felicja Blumenthal (with the Brno-Philharmonic/Alberto Zedda) recorded Anh.7 in 1970 for Unicorn, coupled with (again) WoO4, the Rondo WoO 6, but also with AFAIK the premiere recording of the Romanza Cantabile Hess 13.
    In the late 1970s this LP was re-issued on Everest as part of a 5LP set with all Beethoven works for piano and orchestra on Everest.
    As CD it was re-issued as an Ars Classicum CD in a series with other less well known composers' piano concertos from the classical period - this time Anh.7 was coupled with a concerto by Ries.

Interestingly these two rather old recordings seem to use different scores of the piece: in the very opening one has a silence after the first phrase, the other two drum beats, similar to those in the piano concerto opus 61a.

Now an inventory of by far the best part of the Beethoven sketches has been compiled (the Schmidt-verzeichnis in Beethoven Jahrbuch 1970 already did so for approximately 70%), and no sketches whatsoever have shown up for a piano concerto in D, it looks like this work is by Rössler after all.

But the lack of sketches could also mean that these went lost or went astray otherwise. However: This D-major mvt is the only of the piano+orchestra works by Beethoven of which we haven't got any autographic material whatsoever: no sketches, no descriptions/mentions in correspondence, no score pages, or some kind of circumstantial evidence.
    From works like the oboe concerto we at least know it once existed.

Stylistic differences between the 1st mvt and the 2nd/3rd ones (which are Rössler's without any doubt) seem to point either at another author (Beethoven?) or a long time lapsing between the composition of the first and the latter movements of the work.

Personally I think it isn't Beethoven. But a nice piece it certainly is.
    I suspected you would know of one another recording, but it seems you know the complete history of every recording ever made in the history of time! You really should work for a record company or the Penguin Guide or something!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I suspected you would know of one another recording, but it seems you know the complete history of every recording ever made in the history of time! You really should work for a record company or the Penguin Guide or something!
      Both these LPs are treasured recordings, both in my collection since the mid 1970s - That helps The Blumenthal I saw very recently in the Cob in Porthmadoc, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Today:

Beethoven:
        Leonore Prohaska: Trauermarsch woO 96

Schubert:
        Claudine von Villa Bella D.239
        Fugen- Entwürfe für Klavier D.37a
        2 Menuette mit je 2 Trios für Klavier D.91
        Fuge in e für Klavier D.41A
        Trio eines Menuetts (Minuet and Trio) D.2F (completion Newbould)
        Fuge in e für Klavier D.71B
        Fragment in D minor for string quartet, D.2c
        Overture for String Quartet, D.8a
        BBC Radio 3??
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night:

Kuhlau: Duo Cantabile (Piano and Clarinet)
          Kabalevsky:Pathetique Overture, 1st Piano Concerto, Spring Symphonic Poem, Suite from the Comedians

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            BBC Radio 3??
            How do you know ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              Last night:

Kuhlau: Duo Cantabile (Piano and Clarinet)
              Kabalevsky:Pathetique Overture, 1st Piano Concerto, Spring Symphonic Poem, Suite from the Comedians
              Kabalevsky's Ouverture Pathetique and his symphonic poem "Spring" are a nice couple of two short but very uplifting pieces - with the danger of becoming an earwurm
              Russian recordings (Olympia/Melodya re-issued them not that long ago)?

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
                Sakontala D.701
                Minuet in D for string quartet D.86
                5 German Dances D.90
                Fischerlied D.364
                Der Mailied D.202

Diepenbrock:
                Te Deum (1897)

Comment

How do you know ?
                  Just assuming as it is Schubert week! I've been dipping in when time allows and usually hearing something delightfully unfamiliar.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Kabalevsky's Ouverture Pathetique and his symphonic poem "Spring" are a nice couple of two short but very uplifting pieces - with the danger of becoming an earwurm
                    Russian recordings (Olympia/Melodya re-issued them not that long ago)?
                    Kabalevsky is one of those composers who has intrigued me from long ago when I learned a couple of his student works. He was recently featured on Classics for Kids, a radio program in the US, so I figured it's time to take another good look at his music.

Comment

I found Kabalevsky's pieces the most fun to play when I was just starting out!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        I found Kabalevsky's pieces the most fun to play when I was just starting out!
                        They are superb teaching material - I always try to include some Kabalevsky at some stage in a pupil's development.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
                          Der Graf von Gleichen D.918
                          Minuet and trio for piano D.277a
                          Minuet and two trios for piano in E major D.335
                          Chor der Engel for chorus D.440
                          Fuge in d D.13
                          Fantasy for piano duet in G major D.1b
                          Andante for piano in C major D.29
                          Minuet and trio for piano in A major D.334

Gregson:
                          Contrasts - a Concerto for Orchestra (1983)

Comment

Today:

Hoddinott:
                            Concerto for Orchestra op.127 (1986)

McCabe:
                            Concerto for Orchestra (1982)

Schubert:
                            Symphony in D D.708a (arr.Newbould) (R3 )

Comment

This morning, the radio presented a couple of fantasies based upon Tosca and Madame Butterfly.

Roehre, how complete was the Schubert Symphony in D? I hadn't realized that there was one. I used to have, on LP, a recording of an orchestral arrangement of the Symphony in E but that is now long gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X