X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubertiade

BBC 3 are featuring the complete works of Schubert later this month:

http://www.classical-music.com/news/...voted-composer

I notice it's for his 215th anniversary - rather a strange number - but they did do a week of Beethoven back in 2005 without an anniversary in sight.

Last edited by Michael; 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM.

Following Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky+Tchaikovsky (and a whole afternoon and evening of Webern), it is a cheap way of programming, and I am very doubtful whether any such an extensive exposure really is helpful to the composer's works and their understanding.
    And if you are after some rare works, as the playlists are far from complete or sometimes even non-existing, what's there in it for the real Schubert-fanatics?

I recall very vividly that the b-minor 17 (or so) bar then recently discovered Beethoven quintet movements wasn't mentioned in any playlist, but played during a discussion programme. Very, very unhelpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

I recall very vividly that the b-minor 17 (or so) bar then recently discovered Beethoven quintet movements wasn't mentioned in any playlist, but played during a discussion programme. Very, very unhelpful.

Not to me. I nabbed a nice recording of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Not to me. I nabbed a nice recording of it.
        As I did, as it was announced at the beginning of the discussion.
        But it wasn't until then that it was certain it was broadcast.

Comment

Working...
        X