The pitch in modern orchestras.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pitch in modern orchestras.

Some fifty years ago, American orchestras used a different pitch than European ones. I mean the former used A = 435 Hertz and the latter, A = 440 Hertz (only an example, I do not know the exact frequencies). What is the scenario nowadays? Do both of them use the same standard pitch? And what would be that standard pitch?

Interesting topic best answered here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for the link. This brings me to another topic. A bowed string instrument, its pitch can be adjusted by the player himself. What about the other instruments in the orchestra? In a piano concerto the whole orchestra must put itself in tune with the piano. This means all woodwinds and brasses have this capability (the timpani of course) and must have a means to lengthen or shorten the length of the tube. Am I right?

A flute, for example, consists of three segments which, assembled, make for the total length of the air column. So I figure out one of the segments can be slid in or out by a few millimeters.

Comment

Yes, woodwinds come in pieces, and you push in/pull out to tune them. There are also other things that affect fine tuning, like how you hold your mouth and the reed for reed instruments.

Comment

Well, thanks. Right now I am downloading Grove's Dictionary, the 1904 edition, from IMSLP. So I think I'll have a clearer picture.

Comment

Working...
          X