X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a Sad Song and Make it Better?

As you know, I am a total Beatles fan, but this is too much:

http://www.brainfuel.com/courses/Mic...the+connection

I like the Beatles too, but I agree - that's too much!

Comment

I'm afraid I have never, ever liked the Beatles.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        I'm afraid I have never, ever liked the Beatles.
        I'm with you and Glenn Gould on that!!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oh, Megan, Peter! I am deeply wounded! (No proper icon available)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Oh, Megan, Peter! I am deeply wounded! (No proper icon available)
            A dose of Beethoven should do the trick!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Why didn't I think of that?
              I'll just let it be ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Yes Michael, recommended after 'A hard day's night'. Now you know that can't be bad, Woooooo!

Last edited by Megan; 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Yes Michael, recommended after 'A hard day's night'. Now you know that can't be bad, Woooooo!

.... and you don't like the Beatles. Hmmmm.

Comment

.... and you don't like the Beatles. Hmmmm.
                    How can we forget the 60's Beatles dirge .
                    My husband was at school in the sixties and he often tells the story of when he was in an English lesson in 1966 when the teacher came into the class he told everyone to put their books away because he had a surprise. He picked up one of these large old fashioned tape recorders with the spools on them and then pressed the buttons and Eleanor Rigby played. After it finished to a generally astonished class, he asked, what does this song tell us?
                    My husband then piped up and said, sir, it tells us that this country is finished!
                    Like my husband , I generally loathe their dirge like music , but you know you could never really escape it in the 60's, we had it on the radio at work.
                    And top of the pops every week.

Wasn't there some link between the Beatles and the Tavistock psychiatry when it was said that the Beatles were trying to brainwash an entire generation.
                    I did read an article about the late George Harrison having to have some kind of therapy to rid his mind of the songs. I will need to find the exact article.
                    Last edited by Megan; 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

How can we forget the 60's Beatles dirge .
                      My husband was at school in the sixties and he often tells the story of when he was in an English lesson in 1966 when the teacher came into the class he told everyone to put their books away because he had a surprise. He picked up one of these large old fashioned tape recorders with the spools on them and then pressed the buttons and Eleanor Rigby played. After it finished to a generally astonished class, he asked, what does this song tell us?
                      My husband then piped up and said, sir, it tells us that this country is finished!
                      Like my husband , I generally loathe their dirge like music , but you know you could never really escape it in the 60's, we had it on the radio at work.
                      And top of the pops every week.
                      Interesting. I had a similar experience in school c.1972 (I was 9 or 10 at the time). The 'Drama' teacher set up the reel-to-reel and played both Eleanor Rigby and the Seekers' Georgy Girl, asking us afterwards what they had in common. Of course it was that they are both about lonely people - Eleanor Rigby, Father McKenzie, and, er, Lynn Redgrave...

Actually, Eleanor Rigby is 'classical' music, since the Beatles do not play on it. It is a string quartet recorded twice, plus McCartney's voice (single- and double-tracked).

Comment

Another Beatle fan to the rescue!
                        Actually it was the use of string quartets in both "Yesterday" and "Rigby" - and the faux- baroque interlude in "In My Life" and the experimentation of "Strawberry Fields Forever" that opened my ears to other music.

Also, the Beatles are a complete package - visually and aurally - and the soundtrack to my teenage years. They produced their fair share of rubbish - but then again I don't listen to them with the same ears I reserve for Beethoven.
                        (I have a spare pair which I keep in a drawer.)

Comment

Another Beatle fan to the rescue!
                          Actually it was the use of string quartets in both "Yesterday" and "Rigby" - and the faux- baroque interlude in "In My Life" and the experimentation of "Strawberry Fields Forever" that opened my ears to other music.

Also, the Beatles are a complete package - visually and aurally - and the soundtrack to my teenage years. They produced their fair share of rubbish - but then again I don't listen to them with the same ears I reserve for Beethoven.
                          (I have a spare pair which I keep in a drawer.)
                          Oh, there's lots of Beethoven/Beatle connections. How could we forget 'Roll Over Beethoven?'

What else, may I ask, is in there besides your extra pair of ears? Or maybe I don't want to know!
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post

What else, may I ask, is in there besides your extra pair of ears? Or maybe I don't want to know!
                            To quote Stephen King: " I have the heart of a teenager. I keep it in my desk drawer."

Comment

To quote Stephen King: " I have the heart of a teenager. I keep it in my desk drawer."
                              That's great! Ha! Ha!
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X