Scottish folk-song arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    More Scottish and Irish songs, piano trio WoO39, Variations on Rule Britannia, Landlerische Tanze WoO15. A good programme. I like the way the soprano sings with a Scottish accent, you don't always get this in other recordings.

I bought the CD today - excellent! The FP sounds great, but it doesn't mention which instrument he is using. The notes say he owns a 1792 Broadwood and has made several recordings on it, but this can't be the instrument used here?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      I bought the CD today - excellent! The FP sounds great, but it doesn't mention which instrument he is using. The notes say he owns a 1792 Broadwood and has made several recordings on it, but this can't be the instrument used here?

The fp sounds like an english one to me, but the earliest of this type I've heard is 1806 - of which the sound is not dissimilar to the present recordings instrument however. the English pianos are fine for the undemanding songs on this disk, but when you hear them playing B's more difficult and dynamic piano music, problems soon become apparent. For this music I was more interested in the stringed instruments. The piano trio is a little rushed to my taste on this recording, the variations a little lame, but the Tanze and songs are really excellent.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        The fp sounds like an english one to me, but the earliest of this type I've heard is 1806 - of which the sound is not dissimilar to the present recordings instrument however. the English pianos are fine for the undemanding songs on this disk, but when you hear them playing B's more difficult and dynamic piano music, problems soon become apparent. For this music I was more interested in the stringed instruments. The piano trio is a little rushed to my taste on this recording, the variations a little lame, but the Tanze and songs are really excellent.

I agree with you about the tempo of the trio - it's as though they are trying to get it over as quickly as possible, yet it is an enchanting piece.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X