Scottish folk-song arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish folk-song arrangements

Op.108 nos 7&8 are now available on the rare Beethoven page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

I confess this will be a new experience for me as I'm not familiar with these arrangements, much to my shame!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

I confess this will be a new experience for me as I'm not familiar with these arrangements, much to my shame!
    I don't think you mention the titles of these songs on the page, No7 is called 'Bonnie Laddie, Highland Laddie'. No 8 is called 'The lovely lass of Inverness'. Really good stuff!!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I don't think you mention the titles of these songs on the page, No7 is called 'Bonnie Laddie, Highland Laddie'. No 8 is called 'The lovely lass of Inverness'. Really good stuff!!

I do now! You're right, they are really good fun and I will buy the CD - what else is on it?

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I do now! You're right, they are really good fun and I will buy the CD - what else is on it?
        More Scottish and Irish songs, piano trio WoO39, Variations on Rule Britannia, Landlerische Tanze WoO15. A good programme. I like the way the soprano sings with a Scottish accent, you don't always get this in other recordings.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-01-2001).]

Comment

Fantastic! And so different! These are two of the best we have featured on the rare Beethoven page. The mandolin and fortepiano pieces were two of my other favorites. Not that they are really better compositions, but because they are...rare.

Comment

Very nice. I was also unfamiliar with these pieces. It's good to hear something I hadn't heard before of Beethoven's. I shall have to add them to my collection!
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Very nice. I was also unfamiliar with these pieces. It's good to hear something I hadn't heard before of Beethoven's. I shall have to add them to my collection!
              I'm pleased you're now able to download these Joy - now you see what you've been missing!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oh, I know what I've been missing!! That's why I finally broke down and bought myself a
                new computer. Now, at least, I feel I'm in the 21st Century!!
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It is an amazing fact that while writing his Scottish folksong arrangements, Beethoven was in complete ignorance of the words of the songs: He was only provided with the music!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    It is an amazing fact that while writing his Scottish folksong arrangements, Beethoven was in complete ignorance of the words of the songs: He was only provided with the music!
                    Of course not all the music one hears in these arrangements comes from the provided bare thematic material. B uses every opportunity to put his own personal stamp, as can be seen with the melancholic introduction of 'The lovely lass of Inverness' provided here.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                      Not that they are really better compositions, but because they are...rare.
                      Not rare if you make the effort to find them! If I can do it, you can do it. All the easier in the internet age. Did you doubt the quality of such compositions by Beethoven!!??? Go on Chris, divert a bit of that cash you've allocated to Chopin and invest instead in some REALLY good music!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        Not rare if you make the effort to find them! If I can do it, you can do it. All the easier in the internet age. Did you doubt the quality of such compositions by Beethoven!!??? Go on Chris, divert a bit of that cash you've allocated to Chopin and invest instead in some REALLY good music!

Eh, I was talking about why they were good to feature on the rare Beethoven page - because they are really different, compared with, say the quintet we just had.

Comment

I really do like this version... Thank you for it Rod and Peter ! Yes it is indeed amazing that B. had the right notes without to have the words before composing. That is genius !
                          In his correspondance he asks so much time for the words to be able to do his best with the music !!!
                          I do like also the "Ecossaises" for piano...
                          I think one can hear the "sens de l'humour" of B. in his songs and in those little works too.

------------------
                          Claudie
                          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                            I really do like this version... Thank you for it Rod and Peter ! Yes it is indeed amazing that B. had the right notes without to have the words before composing. That is genius !
                            In his correspondance he asks so much time for the words to be able to do his best with the music !!!

After 1813 at Beethoven's insistence, Thomson began sending the texts though he sometimes altered them after Beethoven had made the setting!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:

I do like also the "Ecossaises" for piano...
                              I think one can hear the "sens de l'humour" of B. in his songs and in those little works too.

I love the 6 Ecossaises, WoO83. They even sound fun played on an out-of-tune upright - my local pub has such a weapon!!

Comment

Working...
                              X