Beethoven's Key Signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Key Signatures

I'm a pianist and attempting to learn all seven piano sonatas in three flats - i.e. all sonatas in Eb major and C minor. There are seven: Op. 7, Op. 10 No. 1, Op 13, Op. 27 No. 1, Op. 31 No. 3, Op. 81a, and Op. 111.

Many years ago, I heard that Eb was Beethoven's favorite key. Does anyone out there know if that is true?

"Favorite key" might not be a good way to put it. He had favored keys for certain things, Eb major being his preferred key for expressing a heroic mood, and C minor for powerful, stormy music. This is not completely unique to Beethoven. Mozart wrote little in the key of C minor, but what he did write was some of his most powerful music (Piano Concerto No. 24, Piano Sonata No. 14).

Comment

I am not so sure whether Beethoven actually had a favourite key (and if so, than E-flat of c-minor might be candidates).
      Why do I think so?
      Have a look at the first 12 piano sonatas, i.e. opp. 2, 7, 10, 13, 14, 22 and 26.
      How many keys are covered by these sonatas?
      Eleven.

Comment

I've long had an issue with key signatures. I realize their value, but they say very little in many instances. The third movement of Beethoven's first symphony - what key is it in?

All that said, I believe one of my piano teachers told me that Beethoven declared Eb major to be his favorite key. He wasn't indicating that he had written more composition in that key than others. He was stating his preference.

I grew up playing keyboards in a Baptist church. It seems that much of the worship music hovered around Eb and, consequently, the middle of the keyboard. Maybe it's about that - the middle ground, the common ground, the middle path. Wow! I'm sounding very Buddhist.

Comment

Working...
        X