Three masses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three masses.

Composers of old ages used to reserve the purest part of his art to the writing of music for the Church. In the epochs following, musicians went on considering the composition of a mass a serius undertaking.

And through my dealings with music I have been able to testify to that fact, specially in regard to three works. One of these is the Missa Solemnis (I guess there must have been many missae solemnis, whatever the plural is). Once my father took home a large stack of LPs, among which there was a two-disc set of a register of the Mass in D major. The cover exhibited the famous portrait by Stieler. But the first disc of the set was missing. And I listened to the Sanctus and Agnus Dei every time I could put my hands on the gramophone.

One day I made up my mind to become acquainted with the first sections. So I got into a disc store, chose a recording and said the dealer I wanted to hear it. I found them much more dynamic than the part I already knew. For the next few months I repeated this experience once and again, restricting my attention to Kyrie, Gloria, Credo.

Finally, I bought a record featuring a version by Otto Klemperer in a single disc (two discs would have been unaffordable to me). And the first sections went on keeping me from focusing my attention on the more lyrical ones. It was a long time before the last two sections came to to occupy the place they deserve. I was young.

This LP is now in a deplorable condition because, putting all of the music into only two faces makes the grooves very thin and vulnerable by the stylus. The highs, specially, had been degraded and I remember asking my brother if the choir did not sound like barking. An this is the story of my discovery of the Missa Solemnis.

Useless to say, this, one of the summits of Beethovenian art, is no match to Mozart's Requiem Mass in popularity. But... times change. Next: Bach's Mass in B minor.
    Last edited by Enrique; 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM.

The Gloria and the Credo were and still are my favourite parts of the Missa Solemnis, however I have also come to appreciate the other movements more over the years!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

My favorite part is the Agnus Dei (particularly with a Bernstein recording that I am not sure is available anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        My favorite part is the Agnus Dei (particularly with a Bernstein recording that I am not sure is available anymore).
        My favourite movement also, Sorrano, and - if it is Bernstein and the NYPO - I have that same recording. My favourite version would be Klemperer's - although he does take some of the fugal movements a bit too slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          My favourite movement also, Sorrano, and - if it is Bernstein and the NYPO - I have that same recording. My favourite version would be Klemperer's - although he does take some of the fugal movements a bit too slowly.
          That would be the one! Seems that it was recorded in the early 60's and I have not seen a CD version. Sadly, I no longer have the LP and the tape recording I had for it was stolen years ago.

Comment

Yikes! It's 43 dollars on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sole.../dp/B0000027LX

Is this the one that you lost?

Last edited by Michael; 01-17-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Yikes! It's 43 dollars on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sole.../dp/B0000027LX

Is this the one that you lost?

This is, indeed, the one! At first I didn't realize it was, but after closer scrutiny (and reading some of the reviews) it became more apparent. It's interesting to me that this recording has all but fallen through the cracks.

Comment

I turned on the radio one day and heard a music that seemed marvelous. For two reasons. One, the music in itself was irresistively attractive and two: I knew I had heard that before. It was Bach's Mass in B minor. The deep impression this audition caused me I quickly understood what the cause was. Sometimes a musical work has been stored in the memory but, as time passes by, it goes to some deep cellar and there it remains quite abandoned. One day, you listen to it again, and the music is suddenly pulled up to the surface. In my experience , this has an undescribable effect. I'll only say it's a moment worthy to be lived, in the case of a great composition.

Unfortunately, I just missed the electrifying introductory bars, but I well remember I was listening to the first Kyrie for a long time, so I must have heard almost all of it and, of course, I could not have stopped listening before the mass ended (it was like a magnet). I had to hear it again as many times as I would wish. I collected my savings and, without any advice, got a recording by Karl Richter, not even knowing who he was.

There are many that would laugh reading this, as he performed with modern instruments, although the recording dates from a time when period instruments executions were not a new thing. But execution on period instruments or not, it's not that important. For music has the power of reaching the listener as if the performer did not exist, no matter how bad he is. From the score to the heart (this needs clarifying, I know). And Bach is not Debussy. It were relations betweem pitches that mattered. For him, instruments were dispensable.

If I had to choose among three from the score numbers, I would pick up the Crucifixus, the Agnus Dei aria and the Et incarnatus est. But I would be leaving out the Dona nobis, with its supreme linear writing. And the impressive first Kyrie, which is the gigantic atrium by which one enters this cathedral of music.
                Last edited by Enrique; 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM.

Comment

In those days I was constantly listening the radio. How many records could you have at home? Two thousand ones? But these broadcasts had huge collections of recorded clasical music. The work (sorry for my English) being radiated was religious music from the 19th century. Never having heard 19th century sacred music, I call to the radio and the speaker tells me I'm listening to A German Requiem, by Brahms.

Next year, I happen to hear the same work. But I had quite forgotten the previous experience. New phone call, same reply: you are listening to the German Requiem, by Brahms. But I wouldn't be defeated a third time. So I ran to the record store and got the discs (Klemperer).

I remember one night. I could not sleep. Then --I had the audio equipment in my room, in dispair because of the insomnia-- I said to myself: cannot sleep? Then lets listen music. And --I had 15-inch woofers, a gift from Dad-- I get up, make the turntable to play the LP over and over again and set the volume at a good level. Miraculously, after only a few repetitions I fell asleep. Some days latter, talking with my father, he asks me: what were you doing that night? I explained I couldn't sleep. "Oh", he says. That was his only remark. But believe me, it was really loud!

Sorry for having spoken about myself, but I think it's more about what happens to us, poor mortals, when suddenly placed in front of these giant constructions of the mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X