Opus focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opus focus

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why the Les Adieux sonata and a wind sextet came to share the same opus number (81a and 81b respectively)? This same anomaly occurred with Op.121.

It's something about which I've always been curious.

Originally posted by PDG:
    Can anyone offer an explanation as to why the Les Adieux sonata and a wind sextet came to share the same opus number (81a and 81b respectively)? This same anomaly occurred with Op.121.

Regarding op81a/b I think because both works were published simultaneously using the same opus number.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-09-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:

I can now add some 'flesh' to my earlier statement thanks to Thayer/Forbes. The Sextet was published in Bonn by Simrock in 1810 as Op81. The sonata was published by Breitkopf and Hartel in 1811 also as Op81, showing a lack of communication typical of the time. The letters a) and b) were first added to differentiate the pieces in 1851 by B&H in their thematic catalogue.

Similarly the 'Kakadu Variations' were originally published by Steiner as Op121 in 1824. The a) was subsequently added when Schott published the 'Opferlied' also as Op121 the following year (which then became 121b)).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X