Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Beethoven works revisited -"Der glorreiche Augenblick," Op. 136

Cantate "Der glorreiche Augenblick," Op. 136

In September 1814, Europe's leaders and their entourages gathered together for the Congress of Vienna, to redraw the political boundaries of the continent in the wake of the Napoleonic Wars. Napoleon had been defeated in March 1814 and was safely out of the way, it was thought on the island of Elba. (His escape the next year and the ensuing 'hundred days" threw a scare into the congress and shocked the negotiators into overlooking many of their differences and reaching several important agreements. The Final Act of Vienna was issued nine days before Napoleon's career was finally ended at Waterloo in Jane 1815.) The congress was much more than political. The nobility of Vienna outdid themselves in providing entertainment for the visitors: lavish dinners, fancy balls, theater, concerts, opera. (Indeed, after it was all over many of the nobles found themselves impoverished.) Beethoven hoped to cash in on the congress. He wrote a short choral piece to welcome the delegates, Ihr weisen Grunder, WoO 95, and began to compose an overture for the name day of the Habsburg Emperor on October 4. (The latter piece was put aside and not completed until September 1815; it is the Namensfeir overture, op. 115.) But his major work for the congress was the cantata Der glorreiche Augenblich, the "glorious moment" (referring of course to the congress itself) which he began in early October. The text was by Alois Weissenbach, a surgeon from Salzburg who had come to Vienna for the congress. (He and Beethoven became friends, their conversations must have been something, as Weissenbach was quite as hard of hearing as the composer.) The concert that included the cantata was scheduled for November 20, but was postponed three times (apparently because of the difficulty the copyists had in reading Beethoven's writing). Finally it was given on November 29, 1814, the rest of the program consisting of the 'Battle Symphony" -Wellington's Victory at Vittoria- and the Seventh Symphony. The concert was given twice more in the next month, but Der glorreiche Augenblick whose music was described as being 'excellent" but whose text was called 'extremely mediocre" was subsequently forgotten. The "glorious moment" it was written to commemorate had passed.

Recitative for Soprano Prophetess:The eye beholds the sun rising andsetting, the stars turning in their course,the people following their rounds.Behold the eye shining and watchingabove that circle of crowned heads. Thiseye is the world tribunal that togetherthey founded so that Europe might notsink into a sea of b1ood. Kneel, ohpeople, and pray first to Him who hassaved you!Prophetess and Chorus:Your first tears to Him above in thehouse of the sun; to Him who, in time ofstorm. wove and bound together kingsand armies with omnipotent hand.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZA1UF0Swc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    'Man know thyself'

I don't think this is Beethoven's best work, but it is good, and worth more attention than it gets. Actually, whenever I listen to it, I find that it is better than I remember from last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I don't think this is Beethoven's best work, but it is good, and worth more attention than it gets. Actually, whenever I listen to it, I find that it is better than I remember from last time.
      I agree with that assessment Chris - it isn't his best but it is more than just a curiosity I think and deserves more performances. OK it was written for a specific occasion, but so was the 1812! I also think it contains finer music than Wellington's sieg.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been playing this a good few time over Christmas. I like the version posted above - it seems to use an actual children's chorus in the last movement. Mostly this is done by female singers.

Comment

Hi,

I have a question about Op.136: Does Anyone know whether or not the emperors of Austria and Russia attended the concert held on Nov. 29, 1814, on which Op.136 was first performed?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
            Hi,

I have a question about Op.136: Does Anyone know whether or not the emperors of Austria and Russia attended the concert held on Nov. 29, 1814, on which Op.136 was first performed?

Thanks.
            Welcome Sunlover!

According to the Wiener Zeitung "the two Empresses, the King of Prussia" were present which implies the Emperors were not!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Austria was represented by Prince Metternich, the Foreign Minister, and by his deputy, Baron Johann von Wessenberg. Given the Congress's sessions were in Vienna, Emperor Francis was kept closely informed. Although Russia's official delegation was led by the foreign minister, Count Karl Robert Nesselrode, Tsar Alexander I was also in Vienna. The entourage at the concert included diplomats and aristocrats so I suspect they all attended.
              Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Among those present were:

Czar Alexander of Russia, the Empress of Russia, both the Grand Duchesses of Russia, the Empress of Austria, the King of Prussia, Frederick William II,(only stayed for the first half) the Prince of Sicily.

Dr Karl Von Bursy reported Beethoven as saying The King of Prussia paid him an extra ten ducats, very paltry! Only the Emperor of Russia paid the decent sum of 200 ducats.

The Wiener Zeitung reported on 30 November that the two Empresses, the King of Prussia and other Royalties were present.
                Fidelio

Comment

Thanks Peter. It's very nice to meet Beethoven/classical music lovers here.

Thanks a lot Fidelio for the helpful info. I am now writing an essay on Beethoven's political standpoints. This Op136 is probably his most important "political work". By the way, the King of Prussia must be Frederick William III.

I have at least one more question about Op136 and will post it here later.

Comment

Another question: Which of the following descriptions was true? I am confused.

"Despite its context Beethoven did not regard his cantata as ephemeral. In 1815 he sold it together with other works to Vienna publisher S. A. Steiner. One year later he tried finding a publisher in England. In later years, Beethoven repeatedly thought about performing the cantata again on his concerts and in 1825 he even inntended to compose an overture - both plans were not carried out. (J.R.)"

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...eter=&_seite=1

"This is an unusual work: it carries an opus number but, like some of the composer's lesser, suppressed compositions that bear a "WoO" number, it was not published until after Beethoven's death - in this case, not until 1837, ten years after his passing. The reason he did not seek publication for this cantata in his lifetime must have been related to doubts about its artistic worth. Beethoven had held back many works, especially a good number from early in his career, owing to his need to be completely satisfied the music was worthy of publication."

http://www.allmusic.com/composition/...6-mc0002423786

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
                      Another question: Which of the following descriptions was true? I am confused.

"Despite its context Beethoven did not regard his cantata as ephemeral. In 1815 he sold it together with other works to Vienna publisher S. A. Steiner. One year later he tried finding a publisher in England. In later years, Beethoven repeatedly thought about performing the cantata again on his concerts and in 1825 he even inntended to compose an overture - both plans were not carried out. (J.R.)"

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...eter=&_seite=1

"This is an unusual work: it carries an opus number but, like some of the composer's lesser, suppressed compositions that bear a "WoO" number, it was not published until after Beethoven's death - in this case, not until 1837, ten years after his passing. The reason he did not seek publication for this cantata in his lifetime must have been related to doubts about its artistic worth. Beethoven had held back many works, especially a good number from early in his career, owing to his need to be completely satisfied the music was worthy of publication."

http://www.allmusic.com/composition/...6-mc0002423786
                      The first quote is correct - I think he urged Steiner to publish it and offered it to Salomon in London (letter dated June 1st 1815). When it was eventually published in 1837 by Brietkopf & Hartel it was to a new text by F. Rochlitz as 'Preis der Tonkunst'.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you, Peter. It's very helpful.

Comment

Summary

Beethoven asks the publisher Haslinger a favour. He will send a package (with the new last movement for op. 130) for the publisher Mathias Artaria to Haslinger in Vienna. As soon as it arrives, Haslinger is to inform Artaria and to hand over the package in exchange for 15 gold ducats. In this way Beethoven wants to avoid having to speak to Artaria personally.

Beethoven is hoping that Haslinger will publish some works which have not yet been published. According to the BGA these are probably the opera Fidelio op. 72, the Cantata "Der glorreiche Augenblick" ("The glorious moment") op. 136 and twelve English Lieder. Beethoven had already sold all of these works to Steiner, Haslinger's predecessor, in 1815. As Beethoven has heard from Holz that Haslinger is planning to "add some things" to the cantata, for which a great price is to be paid. He offers to make his mode of payment "cheap and attractive". In 1837 Haslinger did indeed produce an extensive de luxe edition of the cantata.

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...377&_seite=1-2

Comment

Yes I've come across Haslinger as the 1837 publisher, but other sources say Breitkopf & Hartel, so I'm not sure which is correct.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

My understanding is that Haslinger was the publisher.
                              Fidelio

Comment

Working...
                              X