Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

similarities and comparisons of string work of classical composers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

similarities and comparisons of string work of classical composers?

I don't know if the thread title makes sense - it seems too?

Anyway, I have been listening to Vivaldi whose musical aura (so to say) and music has actually always fascinated me. Though, more in an unconscious way, per say (I would say, per se', though it is a little to "French" for my taste - lol, to the French Spaniard from Strasbourg, )?

I was wondering about this - to my ears, Mozart's writing for strings, while far more pristine sounding, etc., seems to have a pretty good bit of similarities, in some sense, to Vivaldi's string writing. Is there any truth in that?

Also, hence the title, are there any other comparisons, similarities, etc. with any other composers?
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Too French? I'm not sure how Vivaldi would have reacted to that as he was Italian! Mozart as a child toured in Italy and he was influenced by the Italian composers, especially opera but of course Vivaldi was from an earlier period so I'm not sure that he would have heard much of his music. I think Handel is another matter and his string writing I think does reflect a tinge of the red priest - certainly the Italian influence is in his music and he to spent some time in Italy in his earlier years. Bach also admired Vivaldi.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

There is a kind of lightness and brilliance in the string writing of both Vivaldi and Mozart, so I think you are on to something there, particularly with early Mozart.

I think you will find some similarities between Vivaldi and Bach as well, as Bach's concerto style was highly influenced by Vivaldi. The same is true of Corelli's influence on Handel. You may find some similarity in the string writing of Beethoven and Schubert as well, to some extent.

Yes, the Red Priest had a very attractive style to his compositions, didn't he?

Comment

Yes Chris, I think so too. It is as though they could write more easily for an instrument as expressive as the strings - as though it just flowed through them or something. Their use of using runs and trill often is something that I think not only shared, but shared in a similar manner? There is something about - but I'm not entirely sure? There almost seems to be something similar, yet, completely different about their music. Though, it does seem to me that Vivaldi was much more fond of the minor that Mozart?

Though, I may be wrong?

Comment

As for "too French" I was talking about the word - per se' and saying I would rather write, per say. Really just a joke. You hear in the stereotypical mainstream about the exquisite taste for beauty the French have, and I was just joking about the word per se' - not Vivaldi.

Also, why do they call him the Red Priest?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            Also, why do they call him the Red Priest?
            No mystery there - because he had red hair and was a priest!

Comment

Thanks Chris, no mystery indeed, . Though I didn't know he had red hair.?

Also, quick question, what do y'all think about him being referred to as the "master of the concerti"?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                Also, quick question, what do y'all think about him being referred to as the "master of the concerti"?
                A fair enough title, I'd say. He wrote a ton of them! They were very popular and influenced even Bach a great deal, who transcribed several of them and incorporated their style into his own works. If you can influence Bach that much, you must be pretty good!

So his work was very influential, and he deserves much credit for his innovations. Though of course he was a Baroque composer, and clearly those who came after him expanded on his work a great deal, with Mozart and Beethoven taking the concerto crown in the Classical era and others in the Romantic era (I like Tchaikovsky's the best in that era, myself). But they all owe something to Vivaldi.

The first "real" concerto I ever played was a piece of his, the violin concerto in A minor "L'estro armonico":

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPba-i26YNA[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Chris thanks for that. I have been listening to the L'Estro Armonico series (I guess would be said) for some time. The A-min works I enjoy very much, given that I have no understanding of Baroque.

I am actually staying true to my word and making a render of Vivaldi in the style of Bruckner - well at least to the best I can - and so far it sounds completely different than your typical Vivaldi sound - and in a good way! I am using the opening chords of the D-min Bassoon concerto to work with.

Chris how about this one. Any thoughts?:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfOQwzmwvOE[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Preston, that is very interesting! I've only been able to listen to the first part of this but will listen to all of it when I have more time to do so. What I can say of what I heard that it reminds me much of the beginning of Bruckner's Te Deum.

Comment

Preston, what exactly did you do to produce that?

Comment

Holy SMOKES!!! HOLD ON! That is an actual orchestra playing the Vivaldi piece at a slower tempo - that is all - nothing by me! If it was I think I might be famous, lol!!!

I'm working on the opening chords of the D-min Bassoon Concerto on the piano at first, and perhaps later with orchestra.

Sorry for the confusion!!! I was just talking with Chris about the L'Estro Armonico series of works and was wondering what he thought about the one I posted - which, again, is performed by a professional orchestra at a slower tempo - IT IS ANYTHING BUT ME, LOL!

Again, sorry for the confusion - that was quite a shock to read Chris' and Sorrano's post!

Seriously, I am very sorry for the confusion. Again, that is a professional orchestra and I am just using a piano and could do nothing of that caliber.

-----------
                        Also, as a side note, the video I posted from Youtube above is not near as Brucknerian as what I am working on (which is just different dynamics of the opening chords of the bassoon concerto at a much slower tempo).

Comment

Ah, I see. I thought you somehow slowed a recording down, but I could not imagine how you managed to maintain the quality!

Well, personally I think a quicker tempo and period instruments tend to serve the lightness and style of Vivaldi better, but for the minor compositions such as this, a slower tempo can sometimes add something to it. I did tend to play the A minor violin concerto slower than the version I posted for you, in fact.

Comment

Working...
                          X